Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Tuesday, 18 September 2011

Tucson, AZ:  Home Again

This is the final posting for my transatlantic cruise--although I will be posting lots more photos once I get everything in order.  The Kodak website has closed down, so I will have to find a new venue for posting and sending.

Friday, 14 September 2012, 6 am






Just as the captain announced last night, at precisely 6 am we pass the Statue of Liberty, brightly lit in the dark early morning sky.  We pass her on the port side, which means I can step onto my verandah in my pj's to get a close-up view.   It's much too dark for photos without special settings on the camera--which I haven't bothered to lern yet (it's a new camera).

The Eurodam is absolutely silent (even on the outer decks) as we glide up the Hudson and turn to the starboard into the pier at 57th Street.  Disembarkation is very carefully choreographed, and my number is even called about 30 minutes ahead of schedule.

The biggest problem is trying to get a taxi.  The port authorities have a good system; everyone gets a numbered ticket, so there is no pushing and shoving (except for the stupids with very high numbers who put their luggage on the curb and block everyone else's access).  The problem is there just are no taxis.  I had a 45-minute wait for the 10-minute ride down to my cousin's place on 15th Street.

Friday Afternoon:  911 Memorial

Fortunately it was a beautiful New York Autumn day (my cousin claims I always bring good weather to the City).  In the afternoon we head downtown to the 911 Memorial--which is a maze of lines and security to get into--where the two memorial pools, with their central voids that stand in the footprints of the Twin Towers, have been completed.  The museum building looks almost comp,eye, but none of the underground exhibits have been put in place yet.  The area is actually still a huge construction site, and access and views are somewhat limited.  But when everything is completed there will be open access from all sides of the memorial.

Friday Dinner

Although I am starting my post-cruise withdrawal from all the bad things I ate, I did manage to enjoy a fine dinner of country pate with two mustards and skirt steak with "French" French fries ("pommes frites" to those who have tasted the difference) and root vegetables at Cafe de Loup, a typical West Village bistro with reasonable prices, good food, and, of course, a great deal of noise!  Our cousin Harvey, who lives in Brooklyn, and Helen's friend Cathy, whom I've met before, joined us for dinner.

Saturday Travel

A long day of travel, but the flights left on time and arrived early, and nobody threatened to bump me off, so I don't have much to complain about.  I must take a final moment to commend Delta Airlines for sending out brief service surveys when you reach your destination.  And more importantly for responding to the comments.  I received a phone call from Delta the very next day regarding my complaint about having to wait 30 minutes for wheelchair service in Atlanta.  They actually track down the people involved.  So take the few minutes to fill out the form on line.  I don't know if other airlines do the same, but Delta is very good about it.

Farewell

Goodbye for this trip.  Will and I already have a Scandinavia-Russia cruise planned or next August, and I would really like to do South America.