Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Special edition

This is a special edition blog posting coming to you live from Thr Locke Pub in Limerick, Ireland, where I am enjoying an Irish Coffee and free wifi at the end of a walking tour of the city.  I don't have my notes so I can't continue on with recounting my two-day visit to Dublin.  But I will get to that when I am back on the Prinsendam.

But today we sailed as far up the Shannon as the small town of Foynes, where we are able to dock and don't have to use the tenders that caused so much trouble yesterday in Galway.  The Prinsendam is the largest cruise ship to ever dock in Foynes ( this is its second visit) and I nderstand I missed quite a complicated docking maneuver earlier this morning.  After breakfast the coach takes about 30 minutes to reach Limerick, a town with quite a bit of history going back to the Normans and the Middle Ages.  Unfortunately, most that history has been destroyed or hidden behind ugly modern facades.  Although the guide, a local Limerick man, tries hard to give some interesting history lessons, there really isn't much to see on this walking tour.

The countryside is quite lush, however, the Irish Coffee is excellent and strong, and I ppeciate the chance to blog without the meter running.  But now the guide is calling.  Tonight I will continue with my chronological report on Dublin.

Cheers