Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Tuesday 29 March 2016
At Sea from Saigon to Singapore

I have just returned from a second dinner in the Polo Grill:  escargot in pastry puff floating in a parsley-garlic broth, Caesar salad created table-side, two Florida lobster tails with haricots vert, Key Lime Pie.  I also finished off the bottle of Pinot Noir that I started three days ago.

Today was a relaxing day at sea and I am happy to report that the sailing is smooth as glass. Even though all the days ashore have been at least partly sunny, the sailing nights have not been fun--in fact, the worst I have experienced (but I think I have been pretty lucky in my 17 cruises; this is only the second time that I have used a medical patch to prevent queasyness).

And I am only one day behind in my postings, so I shall get right to yesterday's activites in Saigon.

Monday 28 March 2016
A Free Day in Saigon

Since the Nautica is docked farther from the city than originally scheduled, Oceania has arranged for free shuttle buses to make the one hour 15 minute drive to the city center.  I take the first bus, which leaves port at 8:15, spend most of the day in the city, and then shuttle back to the ship at 4:15, which gets us aboard just prior to the 6:00pm sailing.

I'll begin with a reminder that the Vietnamese use "Saigon" and "Ho Chi Minh City," almost interchangeably.  Southerners, who are typically better educated and more sophisticated (that's what the locals say), tend to identify the city as Saigon.  Those from the northern half of the country, call it HCMC.  Whatever you call it, Saigon is the largest city in the country and is booming with both private construction (huge post-modern skyscrapers) and public infrastructure projects (highways, bridges, and a new Metro system still under construction).  


Saigon Central Committee Building
Although there are few signs in English, with the help of a map it is very easy to get around the city on foot.  Almost everyone speaks English, and locals are always happy to give directions or just to have a chat.

I follow a walking tour from my guidebook that takes me to the most important sites in District I (downtown).  I don't mind revisiting places I saw last year, because I am free to spend as much time as I like, instead of being herded by a guide.  These places include the former RC Cathedral, the French-designed central post office, the Opera House, and the Saigon Central Committee building.  But today I also have time to visit the shops and hotels that line the main streets.  I have lunch in a bistro at the Sheraton Hotel--which also provides some welcome rest time.  


19-Century Central Post Office


 


The city is quite safe for tourists, except when trying to cross the street. Drivers pay no attention to traffic lights or signals (just like in Naples, Italy), so the secret is to step into the street, close one's eyes, and confidently walk at a steady pace.  Somehow, the drivers (mostly on motorbikes) are adept at weaving through the pedestrians without hitting anyone.  Although I understand that there are many pedestrian fatalities throughout the year ( not that different from Tucson).   


 Ordinary Noon-Time Traffic

 French Cathedral

Municipal Opera House

 Five-Story Shopping Mall

Bitexco Tower with Helipad at 2/3 of the Height

I enjoy the quiet bus trip--no silly commentary by the driver--back to the ship.