Tuesday, April 9, 2019


Tuesday, 9 April 2019
Tucson, Arizona
I'm still enjoying my time at home in Tucson.  The spring weather is spectacular, as are the spring flowers that have resulted from the extra rain we had all winter.  Of course, I am also starting to think about my next cruise, and I may have an announcement to make after I post the last blog entry from this cruise, which is approaching quickly.

This post will report on ms Westerdam, without regard to dates or chronological order.  Will and I took our very first cruise on an earlier iteration of the Westerdam, which is no longer in service for Holland America--although it may be sailing under a different name and different flag for another cruise line. (It is very common for older ships to be shipped off to other shipping lines.)

When we sailed on the Westerdam in 2007, the ship had already been extensively remodeled from its German origins.  In fact, the ship was split in half and a larger section of newer cabins and matching public rooms was inserted between the two halves.  The only visible evidence was that the newer section had larger windows in ocean view rooms.  The older Westerdam carried about 1500 passengers.

The newest version of the Westerdam is the final Vista Class ship built for HAL (Eurodam, Oosterdam, Zuiderdam, Noordam).  The Eurodam (on which I have sailed four times) is slightly smaller, but the other four sister ships named for the directions on the compass are exactly the same, each carrying about 1900 passengers (I have sailed on all except the Noordam).  The Westerdam was launched in 2003 and most recently refurbished in 2017.

The refurbishment was done with especially good taste in design and comfort, establishing a more casual tone than HAL ships used to strive for, especially in the dining venues.  The music and entertainment areas have been expanded and upgraded successfully.  Although I prefer to sail on smaller ships (600-1400 passengers is an ideal range), I congratulate HAL on making the Westerdam a ship for the 21st century.



My Stateroom and Private Veranda







Westerdam's Public Spaces 


Ocean Bar
Shops at Sea

Gallery Bar and Lounge


Atrium Lobby
Two-Level Main Dining Room

The Explorer's Lounge
The Pinnacle Lounge
The Main Stage Theatre (above and below)




The Lido Pool
Promenade Deck (above and below)





New Friends  


Two Members of My Skilled Dining Room Team

Yuda, from Indonesia, Serves Other Passengers;
He Made My Mealtimes Perfect
Peggy and Caarole, Sisters from Bakersfield, CA, Who Invited Me to Share
Shore Adventures with Them


One more blog to come, with pictures from my 1994 visits to Shanghai, Beijing, and Hong Kong.