Saturday, October 26, 2019

Saturday, 26 October 2019
Sailing the Suez Canal

Since today is a sea day as we pass along the 12-hour journey through the Suez Canal, I can spend a little more time working to catch up on the blog.  There is lots of sand and a few villages and structures on both sides of the canal, but there is mostly sand.  This morning started out with a slight drizzle (the first of the trip), but by 10am it has turned into a partly cloudy, but no rain, day.  I hope to post pictures from the canal on a later blog, but for now I return to . . .

Wednesday, 23 October 2019
Sailing from Crete to Israel

Today is a sleep-in day until 8:30am and time for a freshly made pancake breakfast in the Colonnade, followed at 9:30 by "coffee with the crew" in Seabourn Square, a combination lounge, coffee-snack bar, and information center.  This morning it is peopled by the incredibly good-looking young men (and a few women), who run the ship.  Or is it just the crisp white uniforms they are all wearing that make them delectable.  I try taking a video but find that my own finger keeps getting in the way (I am using the iPad and sometimes I forget where the lens is!).  I really need a good rest today, but there is so much going on, I have a hot cappuccino instead.

Just outside the Square, is the circular staircase atrium that reaches from Deck 4 to Deck 10, and is lit by the funnel shaped large window seen at the back of the pool deck.





After lunch, Dr Dan presents a lecture with slides on "The Museums of Israel."  This will be helpful when I am in Tel Aviv on my own tomorrow.  He recommends particularly the Museum of the Jewish People, with a special exhibit on Jewish humor; the Museum of the Diaspora; and the Tel Aviv Museum of Art.  In real time I will only make it to the Museum of Art on this visit (but more on that later).

Later in the afternoon, a member of the ship's travel department hosts a "Talk on Sightseeing On One's Own in Haifa."  Unfortunately, he knows so little about anything--not even where the train is located (across the street from the cruise pier--it was a test question), that his  talk is totally useless.  I don't understand why he even gets paid--I could do a better job than he does.  On top of his performance, when I go to the Square to raise questions about his knowledge, he interrupts my private talk with his superior--not the best way to deal with the issue!

The highlight of the day is my 7:15pm dinner reservation at Thomas Keller's Grill.  There is no extra charge, but reservations are required.  There is a small kerfluffle regarding where I am seated, but once that is settled to my satisfaction, everything else goes smoothly.  Dinner begins with a glass of champagne, soon followed by another, and an amuse bouche of assorted crudites with two wonderful and colorful aioli sauces for dipping.  This is followed by one of the most wonderful salads I have ever eaten, and this is high compliment from this rabbit:  a warm spinach salad, with lardons, bacon, tiny fried onion rings, and warm bacon dressing.  A taste this is smooth and sublime, worth every calorie and carbohydrate in it.

Dover sole is the main course, filleted and grilled perfectly, with creamy mashed potatoes.  For dessert there are many choices, but only one real possibility:  five-layer coconut cake.  Service is unobtrusive and classy.

As I finish my dessert, out of the blue I am invited by a gentleman at the next table to join him and his wife on a trivia team.  Currently they are in next-to-last place and they are allowed two additional team members.  After a brief introduction and discussion I accept his challenge to help raise the team standing.  I don't know when the next contest takes place, but probably after two days of heavy touring in Israel.  Well, all my friends know that my mind is filled with trivia--some accurate, some not--so I will try to do my best.

After the lovely dinner I need a few turns around the deck--which doesn't take much time and then I'm headed off to sleep and a very early wake-up tomorrow, since we dock in Haifa at 7am and I would like to get an early start on my self-directed tour to Tel Aviv, about which I shall report in the next blog.

For now, sweet dreams and clear sailing.