Friday, April 12, 2013

Santiago de Chile 12 April 2013

Sorry that I left everyone hangi8ng at the Atlanta airport, but everything is going fine.  I enjoyed two seats in Economy Comfort so I could stretch out, and while the food wasnt great, it was enough to keep me going.

We landed on time and went thourhg immigration, customs, and visa control quickly with the help of my wheelchair assistant.  An HAL person met me in the lobby and directed me to the bus which took us in a very few minutes to the Sheraton Cristobel Hotel, on the edge of the center city.  There wasnt much to see on the ride in because most of the highway is underground, but the guide used the time to tell us about money, eating habits, and wine.  He also warned us to stay away from downtown today, since there was a big protest about education which was sure to break out into riots and arrests.  I chose to watch it on TV rather than heading into the fray.

I did explore the areas around the hotel.  Lot of high rises, but nice parks surrounding a small river that only runs part of the year just like in Tucson.

After a good nights sleep I am ready to begin a real day of seeing Santiago and will probably use the hop on hop off bus as well as the Metro.

Ill get back on the blog once I board the Veendam tomorrow afternoon.

More to follow . . .