Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Sunday, 2 March 2014
Welcome to Rio de Janeiro

The early morning sail into Rio's Bay is somewhat muted by the fog, clouds, and smog of the day getting started.  I have room service breakfast while putting myself together for my 4-day adventure.  I have already been notified of the cancellation of two tours due to Carnival--you would think Expedia would know the schedules better than they do. I have rescheduled one for Wednesday, but the shorter one is unavailable, it seems.

I disembark at 9am, having distributed my largess of extra 
gratuities last night (just tokens, since the basic tips are automatically added to fares).  My dining and wine stewards 
seemed genuinely unhappy to see me leave (probably because I wasn't much bother).  There are no customs, health, or passport 
inspections, so I breeze right through with the help of my hired porter to the designated space where my driver is waiting with a name placard in clear view.  Negotiating all the detours and rerouting because of Carnival is a nightmare and my driver has to request directions from policemen as we seem to be riding in circles (at least there is meter to watch).  But the car is clean and comfortable and the driver polite.  We finally reach a set of tunnels through the mountains that separate parts of the city and the emerge into the lagoon side of Ipanema and the environs of the hotel.

Hotel Everest Rio is newly-remodeled high-rise, a recently remodeled member of a small Brazilian chain.  The room is large, clean, and with all the necessary amenities, including fridge and safe.  A buffet breakfast at the roof-top restaurant (floor23) is included.  There is also a small pool on the room which affords panoramic views of the city in all directions.

Well it's time to hit the streets--more later,