Thursday, March 6, 2014

Thursday, 6 March 2014
Rio de Janeiro

I am sitting in the lobby of the Everst Rio Hotel, with still two hours to wait for my ride to the airport.  I have checked out and had lunch so I'll catch up on my time in "The Magnificent City," Rio.


Carnival was still in full swing on Tuesday so there wasn't much to do other than people watch and enjoy the festive atmosphere.  My hotel in Ipanema is well-located with lots of restaurants within walking distance.  I think I have single-handedly consumed a herd of cattle. The hotel has direct access to the beach and today the beaches are still packed with locals on holiday.  There is hardly a spot without beach umbrellas crowding each other.  And although all variety of body types are on offer, practically everyone, young and old, is in very good shape and stunningly attractive.  Although a number of elderly locals stop me to suggest I put my camera away, they are, in fact, the only folks who have bothered me.  The tales of street danger--at least in touristy neighborhoods--are grossly exaggerated.  Everyone seems genuinely friendly and sincere.  I guess I wasted $10 buying a cheap watch on board the Maasdam so I wouldn't have to wear my good one!  Obviously, you don't want to flash your gold and diamonds, but a little common sense goes a long way.


Today (still Tuesday) I walk eastwards along Ipanema beach--those beautiful mosaic sidewalks are slippery and treacherous--to the point where the outcropping of Abrogodar separates Ipanema from Copacabana beach.  A slight detour through some shopping streets gets me from one beach to the next.  Copacabana is even more crowded than Ipanema, and almost 4km long.  I don't make it very far, but stop for a big lunch at a beachfront restaurant.  Platters are huge and prices reasonable.  And another comfortable chance for people watching.  

After lunch I drag myself back the same route to spend the afternoon packing, since tomorrow will be a very busy day (I hope).