Friday, December 9, 2022

Friday, 9 December
Tucson, Arizona

I arrived safely home in Tucson on time right before noon on Wednesday, exactly six hours before I left Sydney. Such are the vagaries of time when you cross the International Dateline and spend 13.5 hours in a plane.

But I still have some more blogging to do before I am finished with this trip. So keep looking for announcements in your emails over the next week or so.

Tuesday, 6 December
Sydney, Australia

Hard to believe, but I am actually caught up with myself for my last day in Australia. The Westerdam left Melbourne on Sunday evening, sped eastward through the Tasman Sea on Monday, and docked right on time at the Overseas Passenger Terminal at Circular Quay at 7am today. I probably could have made my flight this morning, but I'm glad I didn't have to rush off the ship.

My final dinner in the Pinnacle Restaurant last night was one of the best meals I've had on this cruise. And Ali, who had served my table in the Main Dining Room for the first two weeks and then was transferred to the Pinnacle, was there to help me this final night. I had already bid farewell to Awan and Dhanni, both of whom are also leaving the Westerdam after many months to return home to their families. Ali still has seven months left on his contract before returning home.

I haven't talked much about the food, but the preparation and presentation seems to have improved during this second two weeks. Last night I enjoyed a glass of French champagne, my usual bottle of Perrier, jumbo (?) shrimp cocktail with horseradish sauce, beef tenderloin with lobster dumplings in Bernaise sauce and grilled mushrooms, and a chocolate soufflĂ© for dessert, accompanied by chocolate petits fours and jellies.



This morning the captain announces his farewell to those passengers leaving the ship (while many are staying on for their two weeks in New Zealand), and his own farewell, too, as he is returning to Holland to be with his family for the holidays. He announces, also, that 60 passengers are in various stages of quarantine with Covid 19. I have been careful about wearing a mask and, I think, dining alone has protected me as well.

After a quick breakfast in the Lido Marketplace, my assigned time for debarkation is called. I pick up my luggage in the terminal and hop on a pre-paid bus to the airport. I'm not catching a plane this morning, but I am staying at the Stamford Sydney Airport Hotel, a very short taxi ride from where the bus drops me at the terminal.

The hotel is rather disappointing. While claiming to be the most luxurious and best hotel at the airport, the room has absolutely no ports for charging phones or other paraphernalia. It's a good thing I have my plug converter so that I can at least use the computer without running down the battery.

After a brief rest, I walk the short distance to the domestic flights terminal, where there is an underground transit station. With one transfer of lines, I quickly get to the Newtown area of Sydney. This is a funky older neighborhood with quaint shops, rundown architecture, and a wide cross-section of humanity. I have come to Newtown to follow a trail of large hand-painted murals spread across the commercial center.











After an hour or two in Newtown, I return to Circular Quay, where the Westerdam is still docked since I disembarked this morning. I enjoy the warm, sunny weather as I watch the crowds of locals and tourists. Then I take the train back to the airport for the short walk to my hotel

I opt for room service dinner (mediocre) and rearrange some of packing for tomorrow's flights home