Monday, December 5, 2022

Monday, 5 December
Still Sailing Back to Sydney

It's 4pm and I am just about fully packed. I have a dinner reservation in the Pinnacle Grill for 7pm. And I promised to stop by the Main Dining Room for a farewell to my two excellent servers, Awan and Dhanni. Dhanni has been with me for the entire 28 days; Awan started in Sydney 14 days ago. Ali, who was my server for the first 14 days, is now working in the Pinnacle Grill, so I will be able to say goodbye to him tonight as well.

So I thought I would use the little left-over time to continue with my visit to Melbourne.

Saturday, 3 December 2022
Melbourne, Australia (2)

At the conclusion of the previous Melbourne entry, I had just finished the "Arcades and Alleyways" shore excursion. But that wasn't the end of my day.

From the coffee/pastry shop where the tour ends it is only a short walk to Next Hotel Melbourne, one of the trendy new places where everything happens on your iPhone. The room is equipped with everything I could possibly need--if I could only figure out how it all works! The bathroom is really nice, and, fortunately, doesn't require an electronic connection. The staff is quite helpful and friendly. On the way to the hotel I find a one-person barber shop and get a really good haircut for much less than my "discounted" rate on the ship.

After a couple hours rest, I venture out to visit more of this city that seems to have changed more than Sydney has. Yes, Sydney has crowded in more tall buildings, but the harbor is the harbor and it still is the center of everything. Melbourne has not only built its own skyscraper city, but seems to have become more sophisticated in the process. Since we are getting close to Christmas, the CBD is packed with shoppers and it feels much like New York City at holiday time, except for the blistering temperature.

One of the major changes since I was here in 1993 is the construction of Federation Square, a venue for arts, culture and public events. Not every local is happy with the brutalist architecture, but it serves the admirable function of giving the city a central meeting point, which it previously lacked.





Federation Square sits across the street from Flinders Street Station to the West, and is built over formerly exposed railroad tracks and gas works. It sits across the street from the Moorish-designed Forum theatre to the north



But it has been a long day and after a quick Chinese dinner I head back to Next and next is a good night's sleep. But tomorrow is another day in Melbourne.

Sunday, 4 December 2022
Melbourne, Australia (3)

After a quick breakfast of a butter croissant and a slice of coconut bread at Starbucks I am astonished at the early line of people waiting to see the Disney-themed holiday windows at Myers Department Store.

Then I hop on a free tram to the eastern end of the CBD, where many of Melbourne's government buildings, theaters, and parks are located.

City Panorama from the Parliament Tram Stop

Monumental Buildings on Spring Street

The Princess Theatre Presenting Harry Potter
(When I Was Here in 1993, it was Phantom of the Opera)

State of Victoria Parliament House

Windsor Hotel

One of the Old Tram Cars Still Running on Spring Street

JFK Memorial in Botanic Garden

Conservatory Building in Botanic Garden

My final visit is to the "Queen Victoria Market," a series of 19th-century buildings and sheds offering locals and tourists every conceivable consumable possible, from endless varieties of fresh fish and produce, to stacks of discounted clothes and electronics. This is where Melborneans shop for bargains.


Entrance to One of the Sheds

American Hot Donuts Are Very Popular

Interior of Bargain-Hunters' Shed

I ride two trams back to the Next Hotel to pick up my shoulder bag that I left when I checked out earlier this morning, since I didn't want to be burdened carrying it around. From the hotel I take an air-conditioned taxi--it's still in the low 90s--back to the pier and the Westerdam. 

And I present two final views of the Melbourne skyline from the stern as we depart for our return to Sydney.