Monday, April 27, 2009

Monday, 27 April 2009

It’s only noon and today has already been quite eventful. So before picking up where I left off yesterday afternoon, I will report that I was awakened at sun-up, by an announcement over the emergency system (which is piped into every stateroom no matter what time of day): “Bright star on Lido Deck starboard.” This was not to welcome the sun, which was straight ahead not off to the left, but the indication of a medical emergency. At about 10 am the captain announced that we were changing course and heading southeast to Bermuda because a passenger needed medical assistance that could not be provided on board. He told us we would be going at top speed (22.5 knots), rather than normal speed of 18.5 knots, and would reach Bermuda about 6 pm (where we will anchor three miles off shore). He assured us that we would still reach the Azores at or ahead of our scheduled time.

I was thus awake a little bit earlier than I planned, but it was well worth it. While yesterday’s sunrise provided a rosy glow, today the sun rose out of the sea directly in front of the ship, in the center of my stateroom window, pulling us directly towards it:

“The sun up—
Flat on the line of the seas,
Sees the line of the bow
Bow to the plumb
Plumb up—
Uplights the sun.”

Now back to yesterday. I was ready for a nap when I received a phone call invitation to a wine-tasting at 2 pm (part of the Sommelier package I purchased): Napa Valley Riesling, New Zealand Chardonnay, Sonoma Valley Merlot, and California Coastal Cabernet. The Cellar Master was quite entertaining without being condescending, and I was able to chat with him later during dinner.

Although I promised to give only the highlight from each meal, I must report last night’s Captain’s formal dinner in full: Pâté de Fois Gras with Ruby port marmalade, Waldorf salad, and poached pear (yes, that’s pâté two days in a row); jumbo shrimp cocktail; rack of lamb with Dijon mustard and garlic crumbs, served with a Pinot Noir sauce, ratatouille, and potato pie; chocolate crème brulee for dessert. Started a bottle of La Bouré-Roi / Les Sanglies/ Pinot Noir 2007, which I shall try to finish tonight.

Today, I attended a fruit and vegetable carving demonstration this morning with master chef Brandon, who is quite a hoot. This afternoon is a lecture on the Azores, followed by tea and then a meeting of “The Friends of Dorothy” (for GLBT passengers at) at 6 pm. I don’t expect a big turnout, but I might be surprised.
I’ll close for now with pictures of my stateroom. I think I will post most pictures on a separate website (Kodak, probably), rather than filling the blog. I’ll let you know where they will be.