Thursday, April 30, 2009

Thursday, 30 April 2009

The big buzz on board ship is the amazingly calm seas and unexpectedly pleasant temperatures (still in the upper 60’s). Since we are now less than 48 hours from our first port it looks like clear sailing will hold.

I attended a chocolate party-planning session yesterday afternoon, mainly because it was being conducted by the ship’s party planner, Melissa, a vibrant and attractive redhead. Will and I had met Melissa on our Hawaiian cruise in 2007 when she was party planner on the ms Zaandam

For last night’s dinner I used my invitation to the Pinnacle Grill, which usually costs a premium of $20, but was included in my Sommelier package. I must admit that the NY strip steak was among the best beef I have ever eaten—and that’s saying a great deal. The arugula, mushroom, onion salad with a creamy bacon dressing was also excellent. The wine service, however, was not excellent. Perhaps they need to hire an additional steward to help out, because the only one on duty was quite lax in her service. She didn’t bring the red wine for me to taste until after the salad had been served (and about 30 minutes after I had sat down), and not once during dinner did she offer to refill my glass. This might seem like a petty complaint, but the bottle was placed across a wide expanse of table and it was difficult for me to reach without getting up and banging things around. In contrast, Anthony, my wine steward in the Main Dining Room, and Cellar Master Bernardo, have been right on top of things, always cheerful, and attentive. I started my second bottle of the voyage: Sylvester Kiara Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, 2005, from California—quite nice and much more full-bodied than the Pinot Noir. I shall continue it tonight in the Main Dining Room.

The evening’s late entertainment was a juggler, about whom it will be kinder not to speak at all. I didn’t last more than 10 minutes into his performance.

This morning I had breakfast in the Main Dining Room rather than the Buffet. The menu is different and includes daily breakfast specials as well as the wonderful small cinnamon rolls Holland America is famous for. The Eggs Benedict, a regular item on the menu, was prepared perfectly.

Revell Carr continued his series of lectures with a talk on European international relations from the Spanish Armada to the Battle of Trafalgar, focusing on the very waters we are crossing. He uses excellent illustrations and charts that clearly mark out the details of the naval battles.

An hour in the sun on the Observation Deck at the very top of the ship gave a mellow finish to my afternoon. Now some rest before dressing for tonight’s formal dinner (the second of five).