Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sunday, 26 April 2009

The sea is calm and the sun is shining as the Eurodam heads directly east across the Atlantic. My stateroom looks out on the bow and I watched a warm pink light spread across the horizon at about 7 this morning. We have turned the clocks ahead one hour and will gain five more hours before we strike first land in the Azores.

The ship is stunning. In spite of 2,100 passengers, it seems almost empty at times.

Before leaving Ft Lauderdale yesterday, I walked the three blocks from my hotel to the beach (about the maximum I can walk these days). I was instantly reminded of how beautiful the city is—bright post-modern architecture, thick almost indestructible grass, swaying palms and a lovely beach. But it took only a few minutes to remember the five reasons why we decided to relocate to Tucson rather than Florida:

1. Humidity
2. Humidity
3. Humidity
4. See picture below



5. See picture below


As I checked in at Port Everglades I was surprised by the number of passengers in shorts and tank tops—do they know we are crossing the Atlantic? I also learned from a crew member that there are no children on this cruise (except for those of us in our second childhood).

Life Jackets on the new ship are much easier to use: no more squeezing them over your head and tying the straps in back and front like a strait-jacket. Now just put your arms through the sleeve-holes like a vest and buckle up in front. That’s it!

I have a lovely table for myself in the dining room, although the main table steward seems a little surly; perhaps he’ll warm up over the next few days. Tonight is the first formal night and I intend to create a sensation in my tuxedo. I also start my special wine service tonight (more about that tomorrow).

The ship’s mantra, so I’m told, is “If you see it; eat it” (just imagine the possibilities). My mantra is, “if it’s on my plate, I’ll eat it”; that should keep me from overloading my plate. Don’t expect an item-by-item description of the food. I’ll just give each day’s highlight. Saturday evening’s highlight was an antipasto platter with duck breast pâté; several kinds of European cold cuts, including prosciutto; fruits, and corn relish. Excellent.

I will post more about today’s wine tasting and pictures of my stateroom tomorrow. Now it’s off to dinner.