Monday, August 27, 2012

Monday, 27 August 2012

Amsterdam

Monday, 9 pm

I am looking out my 7th floor window on the River Ij as the lights of the city come on.  The Mowenpick Hotel is built directly over the Cruise Passenger Terminal and if I wake up early enough on Thursday I will be able to watch as the Eurodam docks below my window.

Amsterdam has finally been developing the riverfront behind Centraal Station--a new concert hall, hotels, office blocks, the new cruise terminal.  All this is just a 5-minute walk from the  station, or an even quicker ride on the tram that stops across the street (although I recommend a taxi if you have luggage).

The train ride from Berlin was uneventful.  I must have done something really bad in a previous life to end up sitting in front of two women whose shrill voices went non-stop the entire 6+ hour trip.  Even my noise-reducing headphones could not keep out the unintelligible gibberish.

So I will make this a short entry and give a fuller report on the vibes of Amsterdam tomorrow.