Friday, November 4, 2016

Perpetua Socorro Hospital
Cartagena, Spain
Monday 24 October 2016

Although it has been several days since my last coherent blog entry from Malaga, I assume most of you are aware that I face broken left hip surgery tomorrow (Tuesday afternoon at 4pm).  Most of 
you may not be aware that not only is this my first major surgery, itis only the third time I have spent a night a hospital.  It's probably good that I don't understand most of things I am told.

This private Catholic hospital is very new, with all private rooms. The bathroom rivals those on the ship; too bad I can't get out of bed to use it.  The nurses are all extremely kind and helpful, and a few even speak some small English.  I have met the surgeon and the anesthesiologist, but they speak very little English. The port agent for Holland America comes to see me everyday and tries to bring things I request, like a small Span-Engl dictionary, and a long extension cord for plugging in my phone and ipad so that they can recharge (a true blessing).

My hip/leg pain is being controlled pretty well, although the medication often causes unpleasant low nausea.  For this reason, and because the food itself is indescribable and served in inedible sauces, I don't eat much, except for salads, fruit, sweet yogurt desserts, and bread.  I get some form of eggs each day which are usually somewhat edible.  Will says not to worry about eating so little, so I am not.

After surgery I will have several days of recovery here and then plans are made to fly me home all the way to Tucson with a specially trained nurse.  I don't know when that will happen, nor 
where I will go in Tucson (home, hospital, rehab).  When Will gets details I am sure he will contact you all--or, of course, you can reach him.


Now that my gadgets are charging, I will be able to receive and send emails and phone calls.  But please keep them brief and don't be upset if I reply only briefly.  After today I will probably not email for a couple of days while I have surgery and am in first stages of recovery.

I try to keep a happy face.  The worst part is that I cannot get out of bed and am thus dependent on others for absolutely everything. I will try to write more when I can

Love,
Larry

Cartagena,  Spain
Hospital Perpetua Socorro
Tuesday 1  November, 2016

Just over one week since my last general entry on LFLatSea, and I have gone back and corrected the typos and mistakes in that one.  I start afresh today,  I don't expect much action since it is National Labor Day in Spain.  My doctor paid a short visit earlier, but I am starting to think he is a little bit loopy about the transportation issues for me, as does the travel nurse who is handling the paperwork.

I know many of you have received this info from other sources (personal email, calls to Will, headlines in The NY Times) so I will stick to the highlights.

Surgery took about 90 minutes, during which I was totally awake.  There was absolutely no pain, since I had received spinal pain medication. But I did hear all the hammering, banging, and sawing during the entire procedure. And I could feel all the pushing and pulling on the bones.

No rehab, but since Sat I have spent the days sitting in an upright hospital chair and yesterday I began short walks with walker and helper.  Starting to count the days.