Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Malaga, Andalusia, Spain
Wednesday, 18 October 2016

I awake to another dark sky as we sail into the port of Malaga.  The sun soon rises, however, and another beautiful day begins as I make my way to the Pinnacle Grill for another breakfast of fresh fruit and perfectly prepared eggs Benedict.  It's too bad that the Port of Malaga tries to wring every Euro out of its visitors--charging 5 Euros for the shuttle from the ship to town center (and return) and 1 Euro for a map of the city.  I decline the second charge since I have come prepared with maps of  my own.

There is much to see in this capital of the Costa del Sol, including a fine but neglected cathedral (known as the one-armed lady since its second tower was never finished); a garishly painted Archbishop's Palace, which now houses a museum of local art--the building is fine but the paintings are not very interesting.

The city center, much of it closed to automobiles, has many examples of fine domestic architecture, almost as rich and varied as Barcelona.

The most important place for visitors is the Alcazaba (it differs from the Alcazars in other Spanish cities by the addition of several letters).  A visit starts at the bottom of the many-leveled fortress and continues to the top, offering fine views of the city and the harbor.  This is the largest and most complete Moorish Alcabaza in all of Spain, although it is less artistically beautiful than those in Granada and Cordoba.  Although the walk up is relieved by many areas to stop and enjoy the views, luckily there is an elevator to take me back down to city center level when I am ready.

All this exterion has made me hungry, so I stop for another wonderful lunch of various tapas.  For about $12.00 US, i enjoy three large plates:  tomato, mozzarella and pesto, bravo potatoes, and grilled chicken on skewers.  After lunch I find a bank with an ATM that takes my VISA card without any problem, so I now have enough Euros for the rest of the trip.  Warning to travelers:  although credit cards are readily accepted almost everywhere, even for small puchases, you have to have your PIN number as well as your card.

Fortified gastronomically and financially I can wander the streets at leisure enjoying the busy shopping areas and wonderful architecture.  My final stop before heading back to the ship is the City Market, an old structure that has been modernized and remodeled.  Behind an authentic Moorish entrance gate is a wide variety of every type of food imaginable, especially fresh fish.

It's almsot three o'clock when I reboard Koningsdam and I don't have much time before the Tapas Grill sailaway by the aft pool at 5pm.  By 6pm we are heading out to sea and toward another new port, Cartagena.

The web is very slow tonight, so I shall publish this and then add pictures tomorrow, or whenever the wifi picks up speed again.