Sunday, October 16, 2016

Sailing to Gibraltar, UK
16 October 2016

The good weather has returned as we make our way to Gibraltar. Yesterday was also beautiful, and I spent the day in Cagliari, Sardinia, a place I have not visited before.  As soon as I catch up on Friday's blog, I will give the low-down on Cagliari.

Still Sailing from Naples
Friday, 14 October 2016

When I awake I am still expecting the ship to land in Palermo, so I have room-service breakfast in order to make my early shore excursion.  The food arrives at its scheduled time and is quite hot and tasty.  But soon the captain announces that the visit to Palermo is cancelled due to sailing conditions; after several tries to embark the pilot, the ship is tuned back to the east to avoid the worst of the weather, which fortunately lasts only one day.  Of course, an unexpected sea day is always a mixed pleasure, allowing for some needed rest (three naps) and recreation.

I have the chance to. continue my exploration of the ship, which is truly immense. I don't see how anyone could be happy on a sip with 5000-6000 passengers (such as Royal Caribbean's).  I much prefer a ship smaller than the K-dam, which seems immense at 2700 passengers.

Today I discover the lower five decks.  Near the bottom the ship, but still relatively high above the water, Deck 2 offers a host of dining venues, from the Grand Dining Room to the Pinnacle Grill to the Sel de Mar (seafood bistro), the hands-on culinary center and dining room, and the Dutch Cafe.  It's too bad there is a surcharge for all except the main dining room.

A wide array of merchandise awaits the shopper on decks 2 and 3.  Most of the music venues are here as well.  The BB King show in the two-level Queen's Lounge is very popular, with jazz and dancing every night.

I have lunch at a new venue, the NY Deli & Pizza.  The corned beef sandwich is quite good, especially since I order double meat and no lettuce & tomato (how unlike NY).  Susanne from Quebec, whom I met in "Civi" is on line behind me so I ask her to join me.  Turns out she runs a wine import business at home and is quite an expert.

Here are a few more ship photos since my activities are limited today.


Grand Dining Room

Grand Dining Room

Queen's Ballroom

Queen'sBallroom Ceiling Lights

Dutch Cafe

Lido Market


Dinner:




















I give the theatre another chance tonight.  A quartet of attractive young men from the U.K., dressed in 1940s outfits, with brown and white shoes,  sing and dance contemporary tunes, e.g. The Beatles, Bon Jovi, Michael Jackson, etc.  the gimmick is that all the songs have been arranged as if written in the '30s and '40s.  An interesting concept, although it grows a bit monotonous as the show wears on.  They promise to perform again on Sunday before leavin the Koningsdam for another ship.

The captain promises better weather for our visit Cagliari, Sardinia--let's hope he is right!