Tuesday, October 18, 2016

I can hardly believe that I am almost up to date with my blog entries, as we prepare to dock in Malaga this morning.  The sun has not yet risen (it's 7am), so I can't give a rerport on the continuing fine weather.  But before reporting on my activies in Cadiz, I must raise an issue with HAL about which I am very upset.

The Gelato Bar is one of the new dessert venues on board the Koningsdam; indeed, it is completely new to the entire HAL fleet.  I was shocked to find that I would have to pay extra money if I desired a gelato dessert after lunch.  I find it insulting that after I have paid umpteen thousand dollars for the cruise, HAL wants me to pay for dessert as well.  Soon, they will be charging for each piece of bread, or each sandwich or pizza.  I am told "it's a revenue-generating venue," but given the lack of business I have seen, I think the charge discourages traffic rather creating it.  And it surely leaves a sour taste in my craw.  This nickle-diming pettiness is what is turning HAL into a faceless, insensitive organization.  And it convinces me more than ever that I will sail with Oceania whenever I can--there are no additional charges for anything.  Even the alcohol, shore excursions, and internet are completely free with the special booking package we selected for our trip in November.  I may choose to sail on HAL ships in the future, but I continue to have little respect for their organization--just as they seem to have little respect for this passenger.
Tuesday, 18 October 2016
Cadiz, Andalusia, Spain

Well now that I have vented I can return to the beautiful day in Cadiz. Except for the one day on which we were scheduled to visit Palermo, the weather has continued to be perfect. I was first (and last) here in 2010 as part of my transatlantic cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Rome on ms Eurodam (you do remember the year of the Icelandic eruption that interrupted many travel plans).  Cadiz is a compact mid-size city that offers the pleasures of wandering through the streets of old town, as well as some classy Roman ruins, and a promenade with wonderful seafront views.  I even manage to explore parts of town that I didn't have time to reach during my previous visit.  
For the modernist, the pleasures of the city are multiplied by a large exhibition of Henry Moore sculptures lining the square in front of the Cathedral.  For the antiquarian, Cadiz is arguably the oldest habitation in Europe.

Before heading back to the K-dam I stop for a tapas lunch and a little window shopping.  Cadiz is well-known for the quality of its leather, especially shoes.  There are several inexpensive pairs I am tempted to buy, but my suitcase is already overloaded and--spoiler alert:  Will and I will be back in Cadiz in November on our way from Lisbon to Rio de Janeiro on Oceania's ms Marina.  And there might be room for shoes in some of Will's luggage!

Tomorrow we stop in Malaga, fifth largest city in Spain and regional capital of Andalusia's Costa del Sol.  The next three ports are new to me and I look forward to discovering new favorite places--and maybe buying Gelato in town just to spite HAL.




Ayutimento (City Hall)

Private Residence Entrance (Above) and Patio (Below)



Cadiz Cathedral Facade







Roman Arena Ruins

Seafront Chapel




Sent from my iPad
Lawrence F. Laban, PhD (retired)
Tucson, AZ 85742