Monday, October 17, 2016

This morning we are still sailing to Gibraltar and should arrive at 1pm.  At 11:00am the Captain will open the bow again and the cruise director will provide narration as we take the scenic route into the harbor.  I have not been here before, so I look forward to my first view of the famous rock.  I have signed on for a shore excursion, since thre are many hills to climb in Gibraltar.

Saturday, 17 October 2016
Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy 

After an Eggs Benedict breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill, I am ready to leave the ship and explore the town at 10:00am.  The port provides free shuttle buses from the ship to the town center, even though it is a farily short walk.  There are several imposing municipal buildings along the waterfront, as well as much traffic.  But a short walk uphill takes me to the pedestians-only shopping street and then an elevator (just a regular elevator nothing fancy like in Lisbon), takes me to the upper level of the town and the remains of several medieval bastions and fortified towers.The most famous is the Elephant Tower, from which there are wonderful views of the sea and lower town laid out before me.  

City Hall


City Hall Courtyard

St Remy Bastion

View of Old City

View of Old City

Elevator to Old City

Elephant Tower




Cathedral Facade

Roman Ruins

View of Old City from ms Koningsdam

Balconied Residences


There are no must-see sights here in Cagliari, so it is fun just to wander through the uncrowded narrow streets, underneath rows of private balconies.  I pay a brief visit to the cathedal, whose exterior is a bothched 20th century reproduction of the original Norman front.  There is also a lovely campus of several musreums, but the exhibits are onlyfor die-hard Sardinian historians.

After wandering through the old Jewish ghetto (now elegantly restored and very expensive), I take the elevator back down and return to the ship in time for a late lunch.

Tonight I enjoy dinner in Sel de Mar Bistro:  escargot in shells (the most difficult to remove I have ever encountered, choucroute platter from Alsace and a new bottle of Pinot Noir.  This is one of the pay as you go restaurants, but with my loyalty discount, the whole thing comes to $12.00.