Thursday, October 13, 2016

Sailing from Naples to Palermo
Thursday Evening, 13 October 2016

I know it has been several days since my last posting, but I have been very busy getting settled on the Koningsdam, exploring this very large new ship, and spending the first shore day in Naples. But I hope to catch up soon.  We are sailing tonight from Naples to Palermo, another city I have visited previously, way back in 1990. But more of Naples and Palermo later.  First I have to catch up on . . .

Civitavecchia, Italy
Tuesday, 11 October 2016

After checking in and rearranging my luggage and my face, I set out to explore what "Citi" has to offer, which is not much more than a few historical monuments and a very large, mostly industrial, port.  But the sun is shining and the sky is a bright Mediterranean blue, so I take a short walk through the town to the harbor and its main monument:  Michelangelo's Fort.  Built in the late Renaissance to a design by the famous artist, it is a huge stone block that can be viewed from the exterior, but is not open to visitors.

A small section of the Renaissance city wall still stands and is used as the base for a row of apartment buildings.  There is a nice seaside promenade lined with small hotels and many restaurants. The modern railway station stands at the end of the promenade.  I stop for lunch at an outdoor cafe, fortunately covered with awnings, because there is a great, but brief outburst of showers.

It's a short walk back to the hotel and a bed that is too welcoming to avoid after several days of travel.  I will report on my introduction to the the ship in the next blog entry.

Albidini Palace Hotel

View of Fort from my Terrace

View of my Wrap-Around Terrace

Hotel Grand Staircase

Hotel Grand Entryway

*****

Renaissance City Walls