Friday, October 14, 2016

No Go Palermo!
Friday, 14 October 2016

After a calm and restful passage overnight and a hot room-serivce breakfast this morning, just after 8am the captain announces that we will not be docking in Palermo, our only port in Sicily. Although things look and feel calm, the captain tells us the wind and sea swells are too rough for docking, so we shall spend the day at sea looking for better weather.  Although I visited Sicily with Will in 1990, I was looking forward to a return visit.  But the captain knows best.


Boarding Koningsdam and Sailing for Naples
Wednesday, 12 October 2016

Breakfast at the Albindi Grand Hotel--run more like a B&B than a "grand hotel"--includes fresh fruit, meats, coffee, etc.  The young woman in charge, beside being exceedingly beautiful, is exceedingly efficient and helpful.  I had ordered a taxi to the port for 11:30am, but since I was ready to go quite beforehand she arranged for the hotel SUV to drive me to the port, alongwith another passenger, from Quebec, who decided to tag along.  

Boarding was efficient and easy and by 11:30 I was having lunch in the Lido Marketplace, a new venue to replace the old Lido.  Like many food halls in Europan department stores, the room is divided into separate stations for each kind of food (salads, oriental, breads, desserts, hot food, etc).  By 12:30 all staterooms are ready for occupancy and I find my large suitcase awaiting me (wondering where the small one is).  

I should rest, but decide to explore the ship, which is the largest I have sailed on, about 2700 passengers.  Everything is sparkling new with bright, shiny metal and wood surfaces in bright colors. Everything is very tastefully post-modern.  I make a tour through the top five decks, but call it quits for an afternoon nap.  There are many days ahead for me to explore all the rest of the ship. 

It is a very long walk from one end to the next, exactly 1/3 mile.  Before returning to my suite, I stop by the Concierge Neptune Lounge to introduce myself and have a snack.  The concierge, a young woman named Jazz, is from Bali, and her assistant is Lars from Amsterdam.

We sail about 29 minutes late, at 4:20, awaiting some passengers still in transit.  The sea is very calm and smooth and I look forward to a pleasant night.  There is so much scheduled this evening that I can hardly attend all the receptions and parties.  But I attend a reception in the Crow's Nest for 3- 4- and 5-star mariners, meeting the hotel manager and very handsome first mate.  My small bag finally arrives (so much for the "priority" label) and I have time for a short rest before dinner by skipping both the LGBT and the Concierge's receptions.

I have arranged a solo table at dinner in the Grand Dining Room, decorated in bright whites and yellows, with a touch of red in the hanging lights.  The room has two levels and is shaped like the inside of a giant whale--quite different than other HAL ships.  Staff seems very friendly and I look forward to establishing report over the next 12 days.  I order a five-bottle wine package (at very cheap discount with my 4-star mariner card).  Tonight's selection is a Dazante Pinot Grigio. I leave more than enough for tomorrow's dinner, too.

Dinner selections:
  • Prosciutto with melon on arugula, drizzled with balsamic vinegar
  • Salad of baby spinach and button mushrooms, with roasted tomato, red onion, and bacon bits
  • Pan-Fried plaice with salmon bacon (strange but interesting) and shiitake mushrooms
  • Banana and coconut cream trifle


My Neptune Suite on Board ms Koningsdam





















On Board ms Koningsdam





More Ship Photos in Later Blogs