Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Tucson, AZ
Wednesday 8 May 2017

Happy Health and Travel News


Greetings to all my faithful readers, some of whom have kept in touch over the period of my recuperation since my accidental fall and subsequent hip fracture on Holland America's Koningsdam on 20 October 2016, and others who are waiting patiently for news of my recovery and future travel plans.

Regarding my recovery:  I am glad to report that I have been officially released from the care of the orthopedic surgeon here in Tucson who has cared for me since I returned from Spain on 3 November of last year.  On 5 February of this year I finished nine weeks of thrice-weekly physical therapy, although I continue a regimen of home exercise.  I have been very fortunate to not have had much pain during all of the medical treatment and recovery, although I continue to have pangs of bursitis if I sit too long in one position (such as when working on my blog on the computer).

Most of you also know that my partner, Will, had spinal fusion surgery in late December with hopes that it would alleviate the constant pain and numbing in his leg.  However, he is having a much slower recovery than we had expected and his travel plans are still on hold for now.


But I am again heading out to sea.  Conventional wisdom says if you fall off a horse (or is it a bike?), just get right up on it again.  So I hope you will join me, via this blog, on a 14-day transatlantic cruise, "Atlantic Artistry," from Miami to Barcelona on 26 March--only 18 days away!  This will be my third cruise with Oceania Cruise Lines, my fifth transatlantic cruise, and my 22nd cruise overall since 2007.  I have chosen this particular cruise on Oceania for several reasons:
  • I have become really spoiled by the all-inclusive, super deluxe nature of Oceania's cruises.  I will enjoy the luxury of a 425-square foot Penthouse Suite, with access to a private executive lounge, and the services of a dedicated Butler.
  • I most enjoy sailing on medium-sized ships, rather than the behemoths that plow the seas for other cruise lines.  Even Holland America has turned that corner; the ms Koningsdam (on which I was sailing when I broke my hip), carries over 2600 passengers--the newest and largest in HAL's fleet.  In contrast, Oceania's largest ships (Riviera and Marina) carry only 1200 passengers.  I will be sailing on the Riviera on this trip.  Previously I have sailed on the Marina and the even-smaller Nautica (625 passengers).
  • The 14-day crossing will allow much time for relaxation.  The ship visits only four ports between Miami and Barcelona:  St George, Bermuda; Ponta Delgada, Azores (Portugal); Tangier, Morocco; and Palma de Majorca, Spain.
  • Because Will and I had to cancel our cruise from Lisbon to Rio de Janeiro on Oceania this past November (for which we received a full refund),  I still had a very large credit from a previous Oceania trip that I would lose if I didn't use it right away (in fact, Oceania was gracious enough to extend the deadline for that credit so I am able to use it to pay for a portion of this trip).  
  • And to top off the perks, this cruise has a significantly reduced single supplement, free shore excursions, as well as the usual Oceania freebies:  round-trip airfare, all non-alcoholic beverages, dining in four specialty restaurants, and unlimited wifi.
ms Riviera


Three Views of Penthouse Suite




Atlantic Artistry:  Ship's Route


After disembarking in Barcelona on 9 April, I will spend six more days in Spain before flying home to Arizona on Saturday, 15 April.

I will be back with more information about this cruise during the next three weeks.  I will also be giving you a preview of two trips that Will and I have planned for later in 2017, both with our good friend Anita.  
  • First, one week in Hawaii at the end of July.  We will be spending the time at Anita's two-bedroom time-share condominium in Waikiki.  We already have our airline tickets and are looking forward to seeing Hawaii again--this will be my fourth visit and Will's second.
  • And then, a 14-day Mediterranean cruise on Oceania's ms Marina in November, sailing from Rome to Barcelona, with ports in Israel, Cyprus, Greece, Italy, and Spain.