Thursday, March 30, 2017

Thursday Morning, 30 March 2017
At Sea Bermuda to Funchal, Madeira

If you have been paying attention you will notice that the Riviera is heading to Madeira, not to Ponta Delgado in the Azores as originally scheduled.  After a lovely day in Bermuda yesterday, the captain informed passengers that because of an intense storm brewing in the central North Atlantic, we would be altering our course southward in order to avoid the worst of the weather.   This is a bad news that turns out to be a double good news situation:  one, we will avoid the worst of the storm (although we can expect some rainy weather) and we will visit a place where I have never been, Madeira, instead of a place, very lovely as it is, that I visited on the Eurodam in 2009. 


But before describing my day in Bermuda, I must first catch up (as usual) on the second day at sea, Tuesday, 28 March.


Tuesday, 28 March 2017
Sailing to Bermuda


It is a beautiful morning on and off the Riviera, as she sails northeastward toward Bermuda.  The sky is bright blue with fluffy white clouds; there is a light breeze, hardly strong enough to bother anyone.  The day promises good things.


Because I decided to sleep in (until 9am), I enjoy a quick continental breakfast--coffee and madeleines in the Executive Lounge--just a few doors down from my suite.  I head for teh 10am lecture, the second on "Discoveries"--rehearsing the life and accomplishments of Magellen, whose ships were the first to circumnavigate the globe, although he was killed by natives of the Philippines halfway through the journey.


Having had a light breakfast I opt for an early lunch in the Waves Grill--sorry there is so much talk of food, but it is one of the two main highlights of a transatlantic crossing--mixed salad, Reuben sandwich and fries, a mix of chocolate and vanilla ice creams.
While wandering the ship I run into a fellow passenger from the 18-day Hong Kong to Mumbai cruise on Oceania's Nautica in March-April 2016.  I have found a few new passengers with whom to share stories and conversation.


I decide this afternoon is a good time for a long nap--the second of the two crossing highlights.  Because I don't put out a request for 5pm appetizers, and the "do not disturb" sign is on my door all afternoon, my Butler calls at cocktail hour to make sure everything is okay--nice to be looked after!


I do wake in time for a 7pm dinner in the Terrace Cafe, but I'll spare you details.  No pictures today, but I promise some after my day in Bermuda tomorrow.