Sunday, March 26, 2017

Sunday, 26 March 2017
Miami, Florida

I am safely and comfortably arrived at Miami International Airport.  The first class upgrades gave me a much more comfortable seat and significantly more leg-room.  A free drink and cookies was the only special amenity to differentiate from economy.  American Airlines doesn't even offer morning coffee on its red-eye flights--a serious shortcoming.  The flight from Las Vegas was a mere four hours, so there wasn't much point in providing flat-bed seats.  I did manage, however, to nod off for a while.

Efficiency took a sharp downturn after landing.  The wheelchair service was especially slow and I had to change transport modes twice.  Although I have used airport assistance for the past 15 years because of painful neuropathy in my toes, it has become even more necessary since breaking my hip last October.

Then there was a one-hour baggage delivery delay, some of that time already eaten up by the slow wheelchair service.  Since the elderly gentleman assigned to my wheelchair was huffing and puffing after picking up my luggage, I decided to abandon him and head off for a quick breakfast and coffee at Au Bon Pain.

At this moment (8:27am), I am sitting in an airport lounge passing some time.  The cruise port doesn't open its doors until 8:30 and my early boarding privileges don't start until 11:00am.  Once on board I plan to have a restful afternoon before sail away at 6:00pm and my dinner reservation at Jacques, a Claude Pepin French bistro on board the Riviera, at 8pm.

I shall also return with more blog news, once I am settled on board.