Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Monday, 27 March 2017
Sailing from Miami to Bermuda

Today is the first full day at sea as we sail from home port in Miami to Bermuda, where we arrive on Wednesday morning.  Although the sky was a bright and beautiful deep blue when I was having room-service breakfast (elegantly presented by my butler), lunch time has brought overcast skies; at least the sea is still peaceful and calm. By late afternoon, blue skies have returned.  It is interesting to watch from my veranda as we run parallel and fairly close to a Regent cruise ship (a sister company to Oceania).  I will describe the little bit of activity I joined this morning, after first returning to the adventures of boarding the ms Riviera yesterday and the first night at sea.


Regent Explorer Sailing Parallel to the Riviera

Sunday, 26 March 2017
Departing from Miami

Getting from the Miami airport to the cruiseport, where up to ten large ships may be docked at the same time, is usually easy and efficient, especially when using a fixed-price taxi.  But today there is lots of contruction at the port, there are more ships than usual, and the ms Riviera is not docked at its usual berth at the Oceania terminal.  Instead passengers must endure a maze of traffic detours, with which my cab driver is totally unfamiliar.  He is forced to circle the port three times because he cannot find the route to the Riviera, although I have been helpfully pointing out the correct signs, which he chooses to ignore.

But I am finally arrived at 10am with just one hour's wait for early boarding of passengers in Penthouse Suites.  The Riviera is identical sister ship to the Marina, on which Will and I sailed the Mayan Coast of Mexico and Central America in December 2015, so there is no need to spend time exploring.  So instead I enjoy a quick lunch in the Waves CafĂ© by the pool on Deck 12--my favorite steak and lobster sandwich on a buttered baguette.  After that I am ready for a power nap until sail-away at 6pm


Penthouse Suite

Sailing from Miami

Sail-Away and Dinner

The Riviera moves at a rapid clip as she pulls away from the pier.    So rapid, in fact, that I hardly have time to finish my martini as we pass the southern tip of Miami Beach and the breakwater and out into the Atlantic.  All the other ships but one have already left before us.  We make a sharp turn to port and head north-northwest to our first stop, Bermuda.

While I am dressing (casual for all meals on Oceania ships), my personal Butler (whom I share with a few other suite passengers), introduces himself with a tray of petit four sandwiches and a welcome bottle of champagne.

I have an advance dinner reservation tonight (the first of four I made on-line before the trip), at Jacques, a French bistro designed by Oceania's executive chef, Jacques Pepin.  The meal begins with an astonishing array of breads and two small amuse bouches, one of deep fried Parmesan and the other of garlicky eggplant.  Since I am still a little tipsy from my earlier martini (I just can't seem to hold my liquor anymore), I stick to Pellegrino for dinner. The first course of escargot in garlic-butter, served in a traditional ceramic dish, is followed by a light-as-air lemon Dover sole, filleted at the table by my server, accompanied by haricots vert.  Dessert is "Charlotte Cecile":  one lady is Vahlrona chocolate ice cream and the other lady is vanilla ice cream, both encased in lady fingers.

I drop into the Riviera lounge, where this evening's "production show" is already underway.  Any hopes I might have for professional-level singing and dancing are quickly dashed (as usual on cruise ships) by two non-look-alike Madonna's--one in red Marilyn Monroe "diamonds" dress and one in white virginal bustier--although I admit the costumes are quite astonishing.

I have already blathered on for some time, so I will save Monday's report (the first full day at sea) for the next blog entry.  For now it is time for sleep.


 

Martini and Snacks at Sail-Away

View of Downtown Miami

Pool Deck on ms Riviera