Saturday, April 1, 2017

Friday Morning, 31 March 2017
At Sea, Enroute to Funchal, Madeira

As we sailed south and eastward yesterday, the ship was rocky enough for me to carry my cane around--more for psychic than actual physical support.  This morning the ship seems to be sailing more smoothly as we head eastward to Madeira.  We have already moved the clock forward twice (two hours total) and we will move it forward another hour tonight.  I much prefer HAL's method of moving the clock at two in the afternoon rather than at 2am, thus not shortchanging our sleep time.

Today is another sea day, so I finally return to describing the stop in our first port:

Wednesday, 29 March 2017
Bermuda, UK

It is a beautiful morning with bright blue skies and fluffy white clouds as we sail into Hurt's Harbor at the Royal Naval Dockyard at the northeast tip of Bermuda.  Although we think of Bermuda as a single island, it is a really a series of small, closely interconnected islets about 570 miles off Cape Hatteras.  I dress for room-service breakfast in the official garb of the island--Bermuda shorts.  My first tour doesn't begin until 9:45 so I have some time for blogging and a latte in Baristas CafĂ©.















The Royal Naval Dockyard is the former British naval base that has been transformed into a mecca for short-term visitors.  I won't get to see the beautiful beaches or stately homes for which Bermuda is justly famous, but I have an interesting time exploring the Bermuda History Museum, the derelict forts and storehouses of the British Navy, the cruise ship piers (at which both the Riviera and Regent's Explorer of the Seas are tethered), the small-yacht basin, and this 
year only, the preparations for the America's Cup Race that begins in May.  My morning excursion is a 90-minute walking tour of these main sights, narrated by a local guide.  Although some of the buildings have been restored (the Governor's Mansion, the Clocktower Storage Buildings), the ones left in partially decaying state are much more interesting and evocative of former times. 



Former Governor's Mansion; Current Bermuda History Museum

Stone-Clad Food Storage Building

"Victuals" Yard and Governor's Mansion

Victorian-Era Ship-Repair Shows; Now Arts and Souvenirs

Victorian Clock-Tower Building; Now a Shopping Mall



  
Former Prison with False Third Floor


Victorian Storage Houses

Royal Naval Dockyard Pedestrian Gateway


At the end of the tour we are left to work our own ways back to the ship or to explore more of this area.  I stop in one or two shops along the way (there are many more), but find nothing that I must have, except for some contraband items at the drugstore that I hope won't be confiscated by customs when I return home.

I return briefly to the ship to drop off my contraband so I don't have to carry  it around on my second shore excursion:  a boat ride exploring views of the homes of the rich and famous, including Michael Douglas and his family.  His mother was Bermudan so he is considered a native as well.  The homes along the protected shores are indeed beautiful and mostly well-maintained. 


















Contemporary architects are encouraged to build in traditional styles and the homes reflect a wide array of pastel colors but share the typical limestone roof, used to encourage the collection of fresh rainwater.  It has been a lovely ride, and the guide, another native Bermudan, has given an excellent presentation, but the air turns cooler as we head back to the pier, passing several America's Cup contenders practicing their runs for the prize, including the Oracle, representing the US.

Back on the Riviera I have time for a light late lunch before settling in my suite.  This is when the captain announces the impending 
storm and the change of course from the Azores to Madeira.

But dinner in the Terrace Cafe waits as we sail out into peaceful seas and there is little to do except accept the captain's decisions as the best.