Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Tuesday Night, 11 April 2017
Cartagena, Spain

A four hour train ride from Valencia brings me to the smaller city, seaport, and former seat of all Roman forces in the Levantine--Cartagena.  Those readers who have been paying attention will realize that Cartagena and Valencia are the two ports I missed on my Holland America cruise this past October.  In fact, Cartagena is where I spent 15 days in hospital for my hip replacement.

Thus my one-day trip here to Cartagena is to revisit the Hospital Perpetua Socorro to thank all the people who were so kind to me during my ordeal.  When I left the hospital I was whisked out at 3am by the wonderful travel nurse into a limo for the 90 minute drive to the airport in Alicante.  Although I said a few goodbyes, many of the people I needed to thank were only on duty during the day.

So here I am, having just arrived at close to midnight (the train was 15 minutes late).  This will also explain my having a haircut today in Valencia to make myself more presentable.  I have brought only a small carry-on with me and left my large suitcase in my room in Valencia, having kept that room for the full five nights.   After a good night's sleep at a hotel tonight, I will spend tomorrow seeing a little bit of the remains of Ancient Cartagena and visiting the good people at the hospital.

NH Cartagena Hotel

Cartagena Railway Station



The Rest of My Travel Plans

My plan is to return to Valencia on a late afternoon train tomorrow (Wednesday), arriving around 8pm (the train schedules really suck; officially Cartagena is "off the beaten track").  I will have one more full day in Valencia for my official visit to all the attractions at the City of Art and Science, for which I purchased an advance ticket this morning so I won't have to stand in a long line on Thursday. On Friday morning I take the high-speed train back to Barcelona for one night and early on Saturday afternoon I fly from Barcelona to Phoenix, via Philadelphia.  From PHX, I have arranged a shuttle ride that gets me back to Tucson at 11pm, where Will will be waiting to drive me home.

Of course, I will continue to blog when I can and keep you apprised of the success of my plans.  Maybe American Airlines will offer me another first-class upgrade--as they did on my flights getting from Phoenix to Miami to reach my cruise ship back in March--but that is probably too much to hope for.