Friday, March 1, 2019

Good morning from United Airlines Polaris Lounge at LAX.  I am enjoying the quiet and comfort of my surroundings while I compose a short blog entry before the 14-hour flight to Shanghai.  I arrived in LA yesterday, so I'll give a brief recap before describing the amenities of the Polaris Lounge.

Thursday, 28 February 2019
Tucson to Los Angeles

Unlike the early morning departures I am used to when traveling to Europe, my flight from TUS today leaves at 12:45 in the afternoon.  Will is able to drive me to the airport at a comfortable hour, and I have time for last minute packing, forgetting then remembering small details, and kissing the cats goodbye.  Luke knows something is going on because he has spent the last several nights glued to my face and neck in bed.  Normally, he will snuggle for 30 or 40 minutes before heading to the bottom of the king-sized bed, but the past two nights he has spent the entire duration sleeping in my face.  Very comforting, but not very comfortable!  Jake, as usual, sticks to Will at night.

Things go smoothly at TUS, since today I am checking in for my flight to LA only.  I do manage to mess things up by leaving my cane at the check-in desk when my wheelchair driver arrives to take me through security to the gate.  I don't realize this until we are at the gate and I have made myself comfortable in the waiting area.  Fortunately, one of the Delta clerks is kind enough to arrange for the cane to be sent up through security and delivered to me while I wait at the gate.

The 90-minute flight goes smoothly.  I am booked in first class, using frequent flyer miles to pay for the round trip flights, TUS-LAX-TUS.  The single seat--it's a window and an aisle seat--is comfy, but two free bags (up to 70 lbs each) is the only real perk, since the flight is too short for serving anything other than some free snacks and beverages.  In LA there is a major snafu at the luggage pickup when a large suitcase (just happens to be mine!) gets stuck on the ramp coming down to the circulating area where travelers can grab their cases.  I am not about to climb up on the ramp--especially with my artificial hip--and trying to get someone from the airport/airline to help is a useless and frustrating exercise.  Finally, another passenger decides to climb up to break the log jam and I am able to retrieve my bag and escape the chaos resulting from the ramp still not working.

The rest of the day goes smoothly, with a short shuttle ride to the Wingate LAX Hotel, a sub-brand of Wyndham Hotels.  I enjoy a walk to the nearby Westin Hotel for dinner at the City Grill restaurant, where I enjoy one of the best hamburgers I have eaten in a long time, along with a frosty cold Stella Artois.

Friday, 1 March 2019
Los Angeles

I won't bore you with the mundane details of getting to the airport, checking in, and waiting, waiting, waiting.  Things go so smoothly that having left the hotel at 9:10am, I am already in the Polaris Lounge by 9:45.

The Lounge is open to Business and First Class passengers flying on long-haul United flights.  Previously, Will and I enjoyed the lounge in Houston on our way to Buenos Aires in December.  This lounge is not as large as the one in Houston, but has all the necessary elements:  large, comfortable seating areas with wifi and computer connections at every chair and table.  Free food (either a buffet or small restaurant), private showers and sleeping rooms if one desires.   It's certainly a nice way to spend the time waiting for my flight.

I will post some Polaris lounge photos as a way of signing off.  You will next hear from me while I am in Shanghai (Saturday through Monday, before the Westerdam sails off for Fukuoko, Kyushu, Japan.