Monday, March 25, 2019

Monday, 25 March 2019
Tianjin, China
The Westerdam is docked in the port of Tianjin, about a 45 minute drive to the city of Tianjin, and well over three hours to Beijing.  But I will skip the usual chit-chat I indulge in at the beginning of each entry and instead jump right back to last Wednesday afternoon and my visit to the wonderful Shanghai Museum

Wednesday, 20 March 2019
Shanghai

The recently opened Shanghai Museum artfully displays treasures from over 2,000 years of Chinese history.  The building itself, shaped like a wheel, embodies the turning of time and progress through the ages.



The exhibits cover a wide spectrum of Chinese arts, from ancient Tibetan masks--


To a hand carved wooden book rest--



To exquisitely carved jade amulets and adornments--





To the history and development of Chinese royal and domestic furniture styles--




To timeless pottery and glass design.




My way back to the hotel takes me through the Yuyuan Gardens and Bazaar.  What was a small, restored traditional Shanghai Old Town when I was here in 1994 has now become an immense and very crowded shopping and entertainment grounds.  People watching is probably a more authentic activity than examining the restored buildings, but the area is a great deal of fun--and quite safe.  Locals and tourists flock here all day and evening.



Before turning in I get a few views of Shanghai by Night.





Thursday, 21 March 2019
Shanghai

After a good night of rest and a filling breakfast at the Campanile Hotel, I am ready for another day in Shanghai.  Today, however, the weather is not cooperating, the skies are gloomy, and rain keeps interfering with my picture taking.

Shanghai Campanile Hotel
I venture out by Metro to some high-end malls, but the shops and brands are little different than at home, although the architecture is often more dazzling.  My last stop before returning to the Bund for the free shuttle bus back to the Westerdam, I visit the largest remaining Buddhist temple in the city, still used by locals seeking solace, advice, or riches.  The Jing'an Temple is a reminder of how much of the old ways of life still survive in the most modern of Chinese cities.









I am back at the Bund by 1:30pm and back at the Westerdam in time for a late lunch at 2:15.  The next blog will take me and my readers to the next port, Qingdao, famous in America for its namesake beer, better known as Tsingtao and available in most Chinese restaurants and supermarkets in the US.