Friday, May 19, 2023

 Thursday, 18 May 2023

On Board ms Zuiderdam

Another smooth day sailing, although the sky is overcast as we approach the local weather system of the Azores. Another busy morning attending lectures and having lunch in the dining room:  tomato bisque and a special burger and fries on a brioche bun (I had an early light breakfast).

This morning's talk by Cruise Director Tjellin covers the highlights of our first port, Praia Di Vitoria, on Terceira, the third largest of the Azores, ending with a description of Portugal's most iconic product of the modern era:  pasteis de nata (cream tarts). 


This is a new port for me, and I am excited to be taking a full-day's shore excursion. Since we don't sail until 11pm, I also hope to explore the port town on my own. 
However, the most exciting aspect of tomorrow will be the opportunity to see a large variety of whales as we sail toward the island.

As I learned in this morning's lecture by Jim McParland, there are five species of whales that permanently reside in the waters around the Azores. Additionally, this is the time of year when five or six more species pass through the area on their way to feeding grounds in the north. I will have to rise early, in the dark, if I expect to see any from the ship. Even though McParland provides several different ways to identify and differentiate the many species, I will be happy just to spot the mammals, no matter their identification. By the way, I also learn that dolphins belong to the same generic sub-group, and differ from other whales only in name and size.



After lunch the sky clears a bit and the temperature warms up to the low 70's. On my first deck walk a few days ago I did one lap (about 1/3 mile); today I manage five laps, three on the covered Promenade Deck (deck 3), and two on the open Observation Deck at the top of the ship (deck 10).

Holland America, like many cruise lines, has done away with dress codes and formal nights. This 16-night cruise is set up as mostly "casual" nights, with a few "dressy" nights interspersed. Thus, on most nights there is a wide variety of dress in the Dining Room, from sloppy to neat; on "dressy" nights everyone cleans up a bit, but very few men wear jackets or ties--I certainly don't. Ah, I remember the days when Will and I brought our own tuxedoes on cruises! Tonight is the second "dressy" night, so I will put on clean pants and shirt and a lightweight vest.

And then I'll prepare for land and my first shore excursion