Tuesday, May 16, 2023

 Tuesday Morning, 16 May 2023

On Board ms Zuiderdam

The weather has turned cloudy this morning as a storm, following from the west, overtook us during the night. I keep so busy during the day that I sleep right through everything. My usual routine is to arise at seven and have breakfast in the Main Dining Room at eight, avoiding the push and shove at the buffets in the Lido Marketplace. I enjoy a peaceful and hearty breakfast of Greek yogurt with delicious fresh berries (of several kinds) every day, followed by something more filling: classic eggs Benedict on Saturday; lox and bagel with cream cheese and all the trimmings of onions, tomatoes, and capers on Sunday; All-American breakfast on Monday; and Texas toast French toast with warm maple syrup and bacon today—with the usual orange juice and coffee. Then I am really ready to start the day.

Fresh Berries to Add to My Morning Yogurt


Breakfast Setting in the Main Dining Room


This time the blog will deliver a summary of the first three sea days, rather than a separate entry for each. This will allow me to catch up to the present more quickly.

Saturday, 13 May, Through Monday, 15 May 2023

On Board ms Zuiderdam


Every morning so far I have been attending two lecture series in the World Stage Theatre. The first, from 10 to 11, is presented by the Cruise Director, Tjallin, a young Dutchman who oversees all the activities on board. I missed the Saturday session, but on Sunday I learned about the importance of sea turtles—one of the oldest species on earth—in the ecological survival of humanity and even the earth itself. Although Tjallin is somewhat overwrought in his presentations, the photos and videos are excellent. Monday’s presentation on Treasure Hunting in the Caribbean was equally impressive.


Tjallin’s talks are followed by a more scientific and current-cruise oriented series offered by Canadian guest speaker, Jim McParland. Coming from a varied and strange mixture of academic pursuits, mainly in secondary schools, where he taught chemistry, musical theatre, and geology, he is an ingratiating and effective teacher of difficult concepts in easy form. His first three lectures covered 1. How the Atlantic Ocean was formed and how we measure the boundaries of the earth’s five oceans; 2. How to recognize major constellations with the naked eye; 3. Why there are different seasons—and the answer isn’t quite as simple as we might think. He also hosts open-deck stargazing every night at 10pm. My intentions are good, but I haven’t been able to stay awake that late.


Then I spend some time blogging before having a light lunch in the Lido Marketplace. In the afternoon I generally take a nap before getting dressed for dinner at 8pm.

On Saturday I attend a late-morning reception for 4-5 star Mariners, with free champagne and wine. On Sunday, in addition to both lectures, there is a coffee session with the Cruise Director and Guest Lecturer, Jim McParland.

Rather than waiting until the end of the cruise, I will make my readers’ mouths water with more food photos now.

Fresh Sea Bass (Hidden Behind Potatoes and Vegetables)





Typical Light Lunch in Lido Marketplace 

Rack of Lamb (Of Course I Don’t Use The Mint Jelly)

Tuesday Afternoon, 16 May 2023
On Board ms Zuiderdam

After this morning's lecture and my large cappuccino. I take my first exercise walk around the Promenade Deck. Although the sky is clear, the winds have picked up--I make it around only once, which equals one-third mile. After lunch, I continue my walk on the Observation Deck, which is open to the sunshine and air.

Tonight I will be having dinner in the Pinnacle, a premium restaurant (one dinner comes free with my reservation, as does one dinner in Canalleto, the other premium restaurant, later in the cruise). I will report on that in the next blog.

I haven't made it to any night-time entertainments yet, but tonight a dance group, "One Step," will be performing. If I finish dinner in time for the 9pm performance I will try to attend.

During the Captain's noon-time announcement, besides giving updates on the weather and the state of the ocean, today he stated that we are slightly more than halfway toward our first port in the Azores. Time seems to be going very quickly.