Thursday, May 18, 2023

Tuesday, 16 May, Through Wednesday, 17 May 2023
On Board ms Zuiderdam

Tuesday Evening Highlights

Tonight's dinner in the Pinnacle Grill is very nice, although HAL continues to dilute its traditional benefits. For example, there is no longer an amuse-bouche before dinner, and if want a salad as well as an appetizer I would have to pay $25. extra--c'mon! I start with a glass of Vieux Cliqout Brut, a favorite French Champagne, and my usual bottle of Perrier. The Perrier is included in my special fare benefits, but I have to pay $7.50 for the champagne, since it exceeds the allowable $11. per drink. I can have as many $11. drinks as I desire per day (which usually covers wine, Perrier, unlimited cans of water, and unlimited specialty coffees), but I pay the difference for anything above $11.

I enjoy the Pinnacle's new version of Caesar salad, which includes Boston lettuce, a soft-boiled egg, and anchovies--but not much Parmesan cheese. 


The main course is a large medium-rare NY strip steak, so tender that I can cut it with a butter knife--vastly superior to the strip steak in the dining room last Saturday, although that steak was actually pretty good. But no comparison in the quality of beef. The steak comes with onions sautéed in red wine, Bernaise sauce, and sautéed mushrooms. I forgo potatoes since I have been eating too much already (it's only Day Four). For dessert I enjoy a large serving of a creamy traditional Creme Brûlée

Since I finish dinner just before 9pm, I am able to find a good seat in the World Theatre for tonight's dance group, "One Step." The group is composed of six attractive and athletic young dancers, three men and three women. I call the dancing, "pseudo-ballet"--the troupe uses traditional ballet steps to popular recorded music. The dancers are okay, but the backdrop video projections are excellent. I stay for half the performance. Since this is the late show, the theatre is only about half full.

Wednesday Morning Highlights

Calm seas and pleasant weather continue as we get closer to the Azores. Since I went to sleep beyond my usual bedtime last night, I decide to sleep in and head to the Lido Marketplace for a light breakfast at 9am, including a famous HAL cinnamon roll, served only on occasional mornings. 


The rest of the morning continues with a special reception for HAL loyal cruisers--to which I received a printed invitation and a special phone call yesterday. In addition to being a 4- (out of 5) star Mariner (based on combination of days at sea, extra suite credits, and money spent on board), today I receive a silver medallion for having sailed on HAL ships for over 300 days. I received a bronze medallion for 200 days several years ago. A gold medallion requires 500 days on HAL ships.

If you think this is an achievement, you should note that several people receive recognition for over 2,000 days and one gentleman is close to 5,000 days. Can you imagine how much money that costs? He probably could have bought the cruise line instead of sailing on it!

There are no special benefits to the medallions other than a free glass of champagne or a mimosa at the ceremony. It's just a cheap way for HAL to encourage returning passengers to sign on for more!

Display of Medallions Before the Ceremony





















Cruise Director Announces Names

The Chief Engineer (left) and Captain (right)
Ready to Congratulate Winners














My 4-Star Mariner Keycard and My Silver Medallion for 300 Days

Unfortunately, the 30-minute medallion ceremony is scheduled at the same time as Jim McParland's lecture on the geology of the Azores. But I am able to make it to the second half of the lecture to find there is not a single available seat in the large theatre. So I stand against a wall for the remainder of the presentation.

Wednesday Evening Highlights 

There is a quiet and elegant Gallery Bar and Lounge hidden away behind some more popular venues. As you would guess, the walls are covered with paintings of all kinds, all genres, and all mediums. Not many folk find their way here, but there is a scheduled Pride Social (they used to call it LGBTQ+, but I guess that got to be too many letters). I attended one on Saturday, when there were only three Canadians; tonight it’s just me.


So it’s off to dinner at my usual table:   Beef carpaccio and Parmesan-panko crusted sole, with opera cake for dessert, accompanied by the usual
Perrier, and a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.

So far there is no word of Covid cases and only a very few passengers are wearing masks.

The next blog will bring me up to date on the last sea day before two ports in the Azores. Fortunately, the sailing has been smooth and comfortable and the time has passed too quickly. After the Azores, the Zuiderdam has two more sea days, followed by five ports in a row before reaching Rotterdam on 28 May.