Monday, June 12, 2023

 Monday, 12 June 2023

Arrived in Amsterdam—My Luggage Did Not

The short flight from Frankfurt on KLM yesterday was fine, even had a boxed meal and coffee in a real cup. But two major problems at the airport here: I had to wait over half an hour for the wheelchair to take me to luggage pickup and when I got there all the bags from my flight were out and delivered—and my bag (with a priority delivery label attached), with all my clothes, major toiletries and, most importantly, the Rx lidocaine I use on my toes at least twice a day—was nowhere to be found.

     [Special note:  yes, I know I am supposed to put my drugs in my carry-on, but the lidocaine ointment container is too large, according to airline regulations, and it cannot be put in smaller containers. So I would risk it being confiscated.]

Of course I was already angry at the wheelchair delay and blamed that service for someone having run off with my very heavy and expensive-looking suitcase. This, however, turned out not to be the case. But I spent several hours waiting and filling out forms at KLM’s service desk. These people were very helpful, but they had no idea where the bag was, although they could verify it was no longer in Frankfurt.

From this point everything had to be done on line, so I taxied to my hotel, about six kilometers from the airport (Hampton Inn by Hilton at Amsterdam Schipol Airport—pretentious name but a rather nice hotel), to await further information,

Later in the day, while I am in the city center shopping for enough clothes to get me home in two more days, I receive a message that my bag was found at the airport in Paris and would arrive at Schipol at 9:30am on Monday (today).
 
I am writing this at 1:30pm on Monday. I made three different calls to the number I was given yesterday at Schipol. But these people were in the city, not at the airport, and all they could tell me was that my bag was "supposed" to have arrived at 9:30. They could not tell me if it had arrived or when it would be delivered to my hotel. Nor would they connect me with anyone at the airport who might have the information I needed. 

So I taxied back to the airport to retrieve the bag myself, since I had to get ready for tomorrow morning's flight back to the US. At the airport, it meant I had to go back through customs to the baggage arrival point. Fortunately, a kindly KLM employee directed me to a missing luggage office and that gentleman was able to call and verify that my bag was at the airport. He also passed me through the security gate so I could retrieve it myself and taxi back to the hotel. What a waste of a day!

So for sanity's sake I shall return to a more pleasant and not wasteful day:

Thursday, 8 June 2023
Deutsches Eck:  The German Corner at Koblenz--The Confluence of the Moselle and the Rhein

Imagery II sails from Cochem just before breakfast, as she takes her passengers for our last day on the Moselle. When we leave Koblenz early morning tomorrow we will have a one-day cruise through the Rhein River Gorge, the most spectacular passage along the entire river.

But before reaching Koblenz, we continue down the beautiful Moselle, passing through more locks, and viewing countless vineyards towering over serene, picture-perfect villages. But I shall turn my attention to Koblenz itself, whose name comes from the Latin word for "confluence" (of the two rivers). The exact point where the rivers meet is known as Duetsches Eck, "The German Corner." We will ignore the fact that the precise point has changed over the centuries as the water has flowed and ebbed and the land reclaimed for public use.



I am looking forward to the walking tour through the old city. I have been to Koblenz several times (technically), to change trains or to join a one-day Rhein cruise that was free with a Eurailpass (remember those?). But I never spent any real time in the city, except once in my much younger days, I took a very early four-hour nap on a bench on the riverside promenade while I waited for my travel connection.


Our group is led by a young woman of Persian descent, who has spent most of her life in Frankfurt. She is very knowledgeable about the Roman history of Koblenz and other places along the RheinWe examine the gargantuan statue of Emperor Wilhelm the First (the Holy Roman Empire again), that was built by his son Wilhelm the Second, on a huge plinth right on the "corner." When we visit the Liebesfrau Church she demonstrates her beautiful singing voice as she renders an a cappella "Hallelujah." 


Two Views of Wilhelm II


Three Views of the Liebesfrau Church


















Since Koblenz was a major site for the deportation and transportation of Jews during the Nazi years, our guide gives us a moving history of the horrible events that played out here merely 85 years ago.

For a different mood, we visit several pleasant squares lined with reconstructions of earlier architecture, as well as some quaint contemporary rendering of antique statues.


Since we are spending the night in Koblenz--our ship is docked right around the corner from "the corner"--there is plenty of time to wander around and have a bratwurst or two. In fact, I take my Bratwurst mit Brochen--a very large sausage stuffed into a tiny fresh hard roll and slathered with senf (mustard)--on the cable car ride that takes seven minutes to cross the Rhein to the top of a hill overlooking the river and the city.



But that's enough touring for me as I head back to the pier to enjoy the daily cocktail hour and dinner on board Imagery II.