Tuesday, February 25, 2014

I wish I could be sharing photos with you, but I will have to wait until I return to Tucson.  I guess I will have to go back to taking my laptop with me, since the iPad doesn't work well with uploading photos to the blog and the computers on board don't have the ability to accept flashdrives. 

Last night the Maasdam travelled the relatively short distance from Recife to Maceio, capital of the state of Pernambuco, a city of about one million (and the subject of a song in Frank Loesser's early musical, Where's Charley?  Although it is not on the usual tourist circuit, Maceio does have charms of its own, especially a series of beautiful beaches.  Today's shore excursion presents a quick panoramic tour of several parts of this city on the Atlantic.  We begin with a drive from the pier, close to the center of the city, to the more southern suburbs, located on a fresh-water inland lake.  We stop at a small market and fishing village to visit the local shops and enjoy the cooler weather.  The guide on this tour speaks only Portuguese, but she is ably assisted by a young man from a small city close to Maceio, who speaks excellent English and provides a running translation of her remarks.

After a peaceful hour by the lake, we return to the congestion of the center of this city, not quite ready for the 21st century.  The state government  buildings and churches in the city center have been restored nicely, but stand amidst much that is falling down or never quite put up right.  This contrast of new and old is especially evident from the hilltop site that provides a panoramic view of the city and the harbor.  After spending some time in the heat of downtown we move on to the more affluent beach suburbs in the north, stopping for a 45-minute walk along the beautiful beach.  There are lots of high-rise hotels and condos (although there is a height limit in this part of the city) along the main street across from the beautiful white sands and sparkling green water of the beach.  The people aren't so pretty, but I'm hoping for better views when I get to Rio.  I do find a place to change American dollars into Brazilian Rials at a very good rate, so I will have some local currency for my arrival in Rio on Sunday.

Tomorrow is a sea day and the Neptune Ceremony, cancelled because of rain last week, has been rescheduled.  Fortunately, there has been no rain at all whenever we are in port.  The weather continues to be much better than  in the Caribbean--lower temperatures and humidity.  Now I am off to meet some new friends for drinks and then on to dinner (tonight I am looking forward to Rack of Lamb).

More later.