Friday, February 14, 2014

Thursday


I set a wake-up call for 7am so I can watch the Pontoon Bridge across the harbort swing open for the passage of the Maasdam to its berth just past the much higher Queen Juliana Bridge in Willemstad, Curacoa.  But alas, I hit the snooze button and fall back to sleep until we are firmly docked at 8am.  Breakfast in the Pinnacle is excellent French Toast--with real maple syrup--and smoked bacon.  Then it's down the gangway for a morning walk through the city.

Willemstad is much more interesting than Oranjestad in Aruba.  Architecture has been beautiflly restored to Dutch-influenced originasl and aren't overwhelmed by signs for flip-flops and boogie boards,  There are, of course, the usual malls attached to the hotles, but at least these are tasteful--and I spend 45 minutes in Starbucks using their free wifi.

I return to the ship for lunch but go out again in the late afternoon, when the temperatures are lower, to watch the town lights come on and the other two cruise ships set sail.  We don't leave until midnight, so lots of people are planning to enjoy whatever nightlife Curacao has to offer.  There is a bright full moon as I head back to the ship for dinner.  Everyone shimmies to the Lido Deck at 9:30 for a pool party with lots of refreshments (free food; pay for drinks), band music with a singer who is a Chris Colfer (from Glee) clone, and crazy dancing.  Some of us choose just to be spectators.  Since I missed our entrace into the Willemstad harbor this morning I decide to stay up until midnight and watch from my veranda as the Maasdam sails out through the harbor, the pontoon bridge, and into the dark night.  Tomorrow is an early morning with a shore excursion in Bonaire, the third of the Netherlands Antilles, so I order room service breakfast before I turn in for the night.

So far, smooth sailing and sunny skies.  More later.