Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Sunday

Today's day at sea provides a welcome rest after the hectic days (only 2) of arrival, unpacking, and visiting old haunts in Key West.  I enjoy a late continental breakfast in the Neptune Suites Lounge and then head for the captain and crew reception for suite guests.  Crew members very friendly and most, including the captain, are relatively young.  Free champagne and hors d'ouerves kind of set the tone for the day.

Dinner is first formal night and although I brought only sport coats and ties (and left my tuxedo at home), I looked remarkably well set-up with my red carnation flower (calling Oscar Wilde!), another suites perk.  Of course I have to have the concierge, a young woman from the Philippines, put it on for me after I stick my fingers several times with the pin.

Dinner is chilled shrimp cocktail, followed by an interesting salad of arugula and frisĂ©e topped with pear and mandarin orange slices.  Main course presents a dilemma of Beef Wellington and Rack of Lamb (two of my favorites).  I go with the lamb, hoping that the Wellington will return to the menu later in the cruise.  A chocolate soufflĂ© with dark chocolate sauce rounds things out very nicely.

Since I met two of the entertainers on shore in Key West, I felt compelled to stay up for the 10pm show, "Bob Mackie on Broadway."  Costumes were great and the six singers (4 men, 2 women) all have good voices.  But the acoustics were not well balanced and there was little vocal subtlety to the performances.

Monday

Maasdam arrives George Town, Grand Cayman, at 7am.  8am breakfast in Pinnacle: traditional eggs Benedict and fruit plate (and the usual coffee, orange juice, and Danish).  Then for the best Neptune Suites perk (besides everything else), I just walk to the tender deck and boad the first boat to shore--no waiting in line for tickets, no waiting in line to board the tenders.  Having been here in early May of last year, I have no compelling agenda for sightseeing or shopping.  On my last visit, I enjoyed a shore excursion to the lovely Queen Elizabeth Botanical Gardens and the Pedro James Castle (sic), a still-occupied colonial estate.  Today I wander the streets of the small downtown and visit some shops (all selling very expensive merchandise) along the shore.  The best thing about Grand Cayman is that free Wifi is available almost everywhere (take that Holland America!).

After returning to the ship for lunch I enjoy a quiet afternoon.  The veranda provides a cooling breeze and the view of five other cruise ships anchored off the harbor.   I prepare my first list of laundry to go out (another free perk) and dress for dinner at 7:45pm.  Tonight's highlights include fresh tomato and Buffalo mozzarella drizzled with basil and balsamic vinegar, followed by a nicely prepared Caesar salad and sliced flank steak served over cheese polenta cake with French green beans and shallots in another balsamic reduction.  Tonight's wine is a French Pinot Noir and dessert is vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce (forgoing the more elaborate desserts on offer). Chatted briefly with David from the LGBT group as he headed to his large table and the Dutch folk at the table next to mine.

I am presently in the Showroom at Sea waiting for tonight's performer--an old-time belter from Broadway.