Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Monday,4 May 2009





Awoke to clear skies and calm seas again. Weather is much warmer than I expected so I added a pair of shorts to my wardrobe from the ship’s store. Just after noon and we are entering the mouth of the Tagus River as we make headway toward Lisbon. Saving Lisbon for the next posting.

Sunday Morning and Afternoon
Attended a short presentation on shore excursions in the Western European ports we will be visiting. I booked a couple of tours before the cruise began and will be making my own excursions in other places.

The seas and winds were high enough for the Promenade Deck to be closed to passengers all day and evening: swells of two meters, gale-force winds, seven on the Beaufort scale (30-40 mph). Captain Darrin announced that he will be leaving the ship in Lisbon to start his own holiday, and a new captain will come aboard. I hope he continues the policy of trivia announcements. I have learned, for example, that in the first week of the cruise, the crew has laundered 17,500 pillow cases and served 69,000 meals.

A new lecturer started a series of talks on the history of European countries, focusing today on the Netherlands. Unfortunately, he was not as dynamic as Revell Carr has been. But Carr is scheduled for another talk on Monday. I brought my lunch along to the lecture: fresh-made grilled Italian deli sandwich and chips.

Sunday Evening
Third formal dinner and my first real food criticism: chilled strawberry bisque probably was gelatin-based and I had to stir it vigorously to get and keep the right texture—but it did taste good. First course was a traditional escargot Bourguignon, rounded out with surf and turf (large lobster tail and filet mignon), and nicely marbled chocolate Bavaroise custard.