Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Wednesday, 13 May 2009

I spent today in Copenhagen after disembarking from Eurodam at 8 this morning. I was lucky and was able to check into my room at the Airport Hilton right away. I dropped my bags and took the Metro into the city for the day--but more about that later; first I'll catch up since I left Rotterdam.

Tuesday

Today was the final day at sea. I slept late and after a light beakfast attended a totally useless disembarkation information session. Then it was back to my stateroom to start the packing process which lasted most of the day and evening (with interruptions for meals, of courses); my bag has to be outside my stateroom by 1 am. Tonight's dinner highlight was Duck a' la Orange, with a very traditional and beautiful presentation.




I didn't quite finish my last bottle of wine, so I suggested to Anthony that he share it with the fishes.




Wednesday Morning


I remember on all my earlier travels to Europe, from the first time in the late 1960's to the 1980's and 90's when I spent a month on the Continent every summer, my first priority was always to see the "past"--the heritage of architecture and culture that makes us what we are. Today in Copenhagen I realize that now the highlights of Europe are the modern and post-modern architectural masterpieces. Bilbao, London, Rotterdam, and especially Copenhagen are far ahead of most American cities.









And that's just Copenhagen.

I'm on my way home tomorow, but I haven't finished blogging yet.