Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Monday, 22 November 2021
Still Sailing Toward Santa Cruz de la Palma

Right now, at noon, ms Riviera is sailing through the Straits of Gibraltar on a second sea day from Cartagena to Las Palmas, Canary Islands. This is a result of a change in itinerary. I am still surprised that we will be touring Gran Canaria, given the explosive volcano action just a few weeks ago. But for now the blog returns to the first day on board ship.

Wednesday, 17 November 2021
Boarding ms Riviera

When I awake and leave my room for the breakfast area, following instructions in my room, I finally meet another human being, two human beings in fact, who are the hosts. Melani, the elder, is the manager who has been messaging me on Snapchat--she writes English quite well (or else has good help), but she understands little spoken English. The younger, a university student, is fluent in English (and other languages as well). She provides the conversion during continental breakfast. I learn I am currently the only guest.





The ladies arrange for a taxi to take me to the port; the very obliging driver helps with my luggage at both ends of the short trip. Unlike previous experiences at this port where taxis left me at the main gate and a shuttle bus delivered me and my luggage to the appropriate terminal, only one terminal is operating and the taxi takes me right to the entrance.

Before boarding all passengers must show proof of full vaccination and have another deep nostril test--and this time I mean really deep! The test is free, of course, and most amazingly results are available in 25 minutes. If they can do this on a pier in Italy, why can't they do it in the US, where waiting tie is 48-72 hours?

Once on board, around noon, my stateroom is ready for me and I am ready for lunch in the Waves Cafe, a casual outdoor venue that serves a delicious steak and lobster sandwich. This is always my first meal whenever I sail on Oceania ships.

This is my second sailing on Riviera (my sixth on Oceania; my 27th since 2007), and my first she was refurbished in 2019. There are not a lot of major differences, but everything has been spiffed up with new furnishings--carpets, upholstery, etc. The Concierge Lounge has been extensively remodeled in lighter colors and fabrics. After all the effort getting here, it feels good to be on a cruise again. Now I plan a lot of rest and relaxation before reaching Miami in 16 days.  That is, after the next three days of back-to-back ports. Tomorrow is Nice and I will report again from there.