Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Sunday, 14 November 2021
Leaving Dubai

I am getting ready this morning for my 3:05pm Emirates Air Business Class to Rome. I am packed and have all my documents, including results from Sunday's Covid-19 molecular test. So I am ready for hotel's breakfast to hold me until I get to the Emirates Air Lounge at DXB.

Since I have been too occupied with EXPO to blog in a regular way, I will give you the highlights and photos from six days of visits.

Most of the larger pavilions offer innovative video presentations with loud music and little spoken narrative.  In some countries, the video is the whole show; others present additional exhibits, usually about the scientific advances that county is making. People of "determination" (I think People with “grit(s)” is a much better term), are given priority at most pavilions so I don't have to wait on lines, even though most are quite short, with a few exceptions. And I can ride the elevators between floors (several pavilions are multi-story). There are a few exceptions:   Netherlands, Singapore, and the Opportunity Theme Pavilions, for example, require visitors to walk to an upper floor before gaining access to elevators.  And the guides at Norway (usually not from the nation at hand), were quite rude when I said I could not stand in the sun for 15 minutes waiting for a presentation that lasted less than 10 minutes.

But aside from these anomalies, access was very quick and easy.  But, indeed there is a great deal of walking--I believe I walked more in my six days here than during the past couple of years--even in the past couple of decades!

But on to the Pavilions:

Waiting Line at Italian Pavilion

The pavilion is built like a large dirigible that has just landed. Unfortunately, the tour inside is very quick and largely unintelligible because of the terrible sound system.  The pavilions where you can wander on your own are superior to these kinds of guided walks. But 
I enjoy an excellent dinner of sliced mozzarella and a bucket of delicious small tomatoes with fresh basil and olive oil, preceded by a Campari Spritz, and followed by main course Parmigiana Melanzana.




Exterior of Three-Story Egypt Pavilion 

Egypt has a large building with extensive use of video. There are replicas on display of many of the country’s historic treasures.

Part of Egypt Exhibit 
 
Austria with Strange Cones and Switzerland with Red and White Umbrellas 

Artistic Exterior of Pakistan


I will add more photos and comments later, but now is time for food rest.  Having a great time in spite of heat, humidity and feet.