Monday, November 8, 2021

Sunday, 7 November 2021
Leaving Tucson, 8am


Well, I am off to Los Angeles on a Delta flight that will be leaving the gate in a few moments, about ten minutes early. This, of course, is just the first stage of my travels.  Arriving at the airport here at 6am, for an 8am flight, made things very easy:  no lines at check-in or at security, although I had to remove my shoes and belt, as well as my camera, iPad, and laptop from my carry-on.  I had wheelchair service, but I was able to walk through the x-ray machine. Given all the metal in my lower left body, l also received a complete body pat-down.


First-class on this flight (thanks to frequent flyer miles and a $100. discount coupon from my Delta American Express card), gets me a single seat on one side of the aisle—that’s it. But it’s a short flight (1 hr 46 min), and with Daylight Savings Time ending this morning (which AZ doesn’t observe anyway), the flight arrives just 46 minutes after takeoff.


When we land in LA, 20 minutes early, the day is misty, foggy and cool, compared to Tucson where we have been enjoying warm sunny days in the upper 80s.


I do not pick up my luggage (2 suitcases) and just carry my heavy carry-on, mostly filled with electronics and drugs, with help from  the airport transportation department getting me from terminal 2 to terminal 6 all the way across the airport, where the Covid tests are given. I had to pre-register to set an appointment, but they weren’t busy (I received my negative result at around 5pm; I had to pay a hefty fee to get it so quickly in time for tomorrow’s flight).


Then the reverse trip back to Delta to retrieve my luggage and catch the shuttle van to the Hilton LAX, which is rather a disappointment, even given Covid restrictions. There’s little in the room other than a bed, a chair, and TV.  No real amenities, not even bottled water or a minibar.  And yet they still charge sky high rates and require a $30 (refundable) security deposit.  I never heard of such a thing.


So today ends—with an extra hour.  I am checked in for tomorrow’s flight to Dubai.  My private Emirates limo picks me up at the hotel and drives the 10 minutes or less it takes to the terminal.  It’s a free amenity when you fly Emirates business class.