Sunday, October 8, 2023

Monday 9 October 2023

Sailing the North Pacific and Crossing the International Dateline

Have you ever had a day you wish never existed? Well, I didn't have a choice of days, but 8 October 2023 has sunk into oblivion as the Westerdam crossed the International Dateline at noon today. Of course, I will gain a day back when I fly home from Seoul at the end of the month.
 
On Saturday Evening, 8 October

The previous blog left off before last night's dinner, designated "dressy" rather than "casual" as on most nights. The result turns out to be little more than "not so casual." Most diners wear pretty much the same ordinary clothes as on other nights, with a few women in more fancy dresses. I wear a vest, but I didn't bring a tie or even a sport jacket on this trip. And for comfort and lightness I have only sneakers to wear. I feel perfectly attired!

Dinner begins with one of my favorites, escargot a la Bourguignonne, accompanied by a glass of French sparkling rosé; followed by filet mignon with burgundy sauce served over the thinnest possible potato and onion pancake. Dessert is just an ordinary double-chocolate cheesecake.












Needless to say, all that food and wine put me fast asleep for a good, long rest, again one hour longer because of clocks moving backward.

On Monday, 9 October

I awake this morning to smooth sailing and, finally, really blue skies. 


The loss of Sunday doesn't make much difference when you are sailing at 18 knots across the Pacific Ocean. My breakfast--yogurt with fresh strawberries in syrup, waffles with more fresh strawberries in syrup, and fresh fruit--doesn't taste any different.

Today is the special Mariner's Lunch for repeat passengers. I join a table of several others, including a single woman of my age from Maryland, who was an undergraduate at IU just prior to my time there as a graduate student (1967-71); a Dutch couple who live near Charlottesville, VA; and another couple from somewhere (obviously). Lunch begins with a mimosa-- followed by pesto chicken salad, filet of sole with noodles and vegetables, and coconut cream pie (served a little too cold to have much coconut taste).

As we are enjoying lunch the Captain announces that at this very moment we are crossing the International Dateline. When I get back to my suite, I find this official certificate, which I can file with the ones I have for crossing the Equator.



Unfortunately, even with the loss of Sunday, the world is still at war. Most of the time I spend in my suite--even while blogging at the computer--I am keeping up with the news on BBC and MSNBC programming. I have a friend currently sailing in the Mediterranean and two other friends scheduled for a cruise to Turkey in just a few days. I wish them safe journeys.

I'll be back with more as the Westerdam continues westward and then turns to the south toward Japan, reaching Kushiro in just three more days.