Saturday, October 28, 2023

Saturday 28 October 2023

Seoul

It's still Saturday (evening) and I have finished packing for the trip home tomorrow. My pre-ordered car will pick me up at the hotel at 10:30am for the 30-45 minute ride to Incheon International Airport--not the same one at which I arrived. My flight to Los Angeles leaves at 3:30pm, so I should have plenty of time at the airport.

Since my chores are done and there is absolutely nothing for me on Korean tv--only one English language station from Australia that shows mostly sports and nature programming--I'll try out another blog before hitting the bed.

Friday 27 October
I don't know much about K-Pop, Korean youth culture, but I decide to see what it's all about. This youth culture is mostly located in the Gangnam section of the city. Besides being known for K-PopGangnam is also the newest high-end neighborhood, with expensive housing, innovative architecture, and Seoul's trendiest places. It is also the location of an important Buddhist temple.

This visit takes me across the river that divides the city for the first time. The subway line from my hotel rises from underground to cross a bridge (along with auto traffic), and then goes underground again.

I stop for a visit to Bongeun-sa Buddhist temple, plunked right in the midst of the all the ritzy corporate and mercantile excesses.

Temple Main Gate
One of Four Statues of Kings Within the Main Gate


Main Temple Building (left) and Wooden Window Screen (right)

The Temple Stupas Stand Up Against the High-Rise Blasphemy



Across the street from the temple, COEX is a massive conference and shopping center. Next to COEX stands a building of innovative artistic design by Daniel Libeskind.


Retail stores in Gangnam also exhibit innovative design features:
















The more K-Pop friendly territory in Gangman is centered on K-Star Street, another shopping Mecca specializing in what the trendiest youths seem to want. One branch of Hyundai Department Store is ready for Christmas.






Right near my hotel is Seoullo 7017, an overpass turned pedestrian walkway and garden. I ride the long escalator up (and then down) to capture some photos of the neighborhood around Seoul Railway Station.




And so ends Friday.