Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Tuesday 24 October 2023

Seoul

Another day seeing different aspects of this very large, very busy city. Also a day for getting some laundry done and other domestic chores. But the blog goes back for one more day in Osaka. Perhaps it will catch up before I return home. 

Saturday Morning:  Osaka

My hotel in Osaka offers a rather strange breakfast buffet, at least strange to me with lots of stuff I can't name and don't wish to try. I do find enough familiar items to fill me up for the morning. And, of course, all the hotels have machines that make twelve different kinds of coffee, including my morning cappuccinos. The machine in my bathroom is simple but effective:

These Toilet Controls Are Relatively Simple

Osaka is a city that tends to business during the day and pleasure at night. Tourists are welcome, but there is not much of history or culture here that the foreigner would be able to understand. However, my hotel is close to the primary attraction of the city:  Osaka Castle. On my walk I pass the morning set lining up for their favorite tea (coffee?) shop.


Set in a large park in the city center, the castle is the biggest draw for tourists and locals alike.

Map of Castle Grounds

"Cyclopian" Rock Walls (as in Ancient Greece) and the First Guardhouse

First Entry Gate (left) and Youngster at Ritual Wash Basin






The castle was originally constructed in 1583, destroyed by wars and fires over the next four centuries and finally reconstructed in the 1930s. It was again renovated in 1997. The only remaining original parts are the irregular "cyclopian" stones beneath and around the castle.

I forego the long entry line and the many steps to the top of the castle and instead enjoy the various views of the grounds and the city beyond.


You will notice how dark the sky is at times, but my "good-luck weather" insures that there will be no rain today. That is especially good for the newlyweds who arrive at the castle gateway in the traditional rickshaw.

Newlyweds Arrive in Traditional Rickshaw


Happy Bride and Smug Groom



There are other attractions in the park, including the burial site and memorial temple dedicated to Toyotomi Hideyoshi, who completed the unification of the country in the late 16th century. His larger-than-life statue represents his status to the Japanese. Next to him the child in her kimono with her grandfather looks tiny indeed.


After spending several hours in the castle grounds, I cross the street to enjoy a brief visit to the Osaka History Museum, with a collection made up mostly of replicas of historical objects and documents.




View from 10th-Story Windows

Enough wanderings for the day. I need to rest up for a few hours before hitting the bright nightlights of Dotonburi, Osaka's gastronomic and advertising playland.









And farewell to Japan, tomorrow I fly to Seoul.