Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Wednesday 11 October 2023

Sailing Southwest Toward Japan

It looks like good weather is with me again, as the sun shines brightly this morning, one day before reaching the first port in Japan, Kushiro, on the northernmost island of Hokkaido. But first I will travel back two days: 

On Monday Evening, 9 October

Monday night's dinner has some of my favorites: coconut-crusted shrimp (unfortunately a very tiny portion), Caesar salad, and Wiener Schnitzel, with roasted potatoes, onions and vegetables. I skip dessert since I had that coconut cream pie at lunch.


After dinner I attend another performance by the Step One Dance Company. Tonight's routine is a repeat of one I saw a few years ago on a different cruise, with different dancers, of course.

On Tuesday, 10 October

Finally consistent good weather as I get ready for another sea day. After a big breakfast I decide to spend a lazy morning with my laptop. In the afternoon I meet with the LGBTQ+ group and then get ready for tonight's included dinner in the Pinnacle Grill at 7:30.

Dinner starts with rolls and two kinds of butter--a digression: there is a significant decline in breads on this cruise; there hasn't been a single croissant in sight and other breads have been rather ordinary, a real come-down from previous HAL cruises--I order a Campari and soda but it takes a while for it to come and I am already well into my Caesar salad (topped with anchovy and hard-boiled egg). No more amuse bouche to start off dinner and to enjoy with your cocktail. The main course is excellent--filet mignon with lobster dumplings, accompanied by sautéed mushrooms and French fries with aioli dipping sauce. Dessert is a very fine key lime pie with a thick and tasty crust and decaf coffee.



After dinner I attend the Orange Party (I even wear my orange shirt), where passengers and crew mingle and dance to crazy music by the house band. There is much to watch and enjoy. The Orange Party takes place once on each cruise, on deck if the weather is good; tonight's party is indoors since it is still rather cold outside.




On Wednesday, 11 October

All passengers have already filled out immigration and entry forms for Japan. Before landing in Kushiro tomorrow, we all must have a face-to-face meeting on board with Japanese officials. Those passengers who have booked shore excursions, like myself, will be scheduled for early interviews. My shore excursion is scheduled for 9:15am, so I assume I will be meeting officials pretty early. I will receive my personal schedule later today.

Today's lecture on Japanese culture focuses on a frightening and expanding trend among younger and middle-aged Japanese men, although women may also be affected. Hikikomori is a form of severe social withdrawal, characterized by adolescents and young adults who become recluses in their parents' homes, unable to work or go to school for months, years, or even decades. They become totally detached from the real world and depend on elderly parents to tend their needs. They never emerge from their rooms and spend most of their time on the internet, playing video games, or reading Manga, Japanese comic books. It's estimated that there are well over one million Hikikomori in today's Japan.

But to return to more mundane topics, I have been sending out bags of laundry every couple of days, enjoying the free service offered to 4-star Mariners. I also get discounts on other services and HAL items in the ship's shop (although all I have purchased so far is one cap).

I will turn in early tonight and order room-service breakfast since I need to get ready for my tour of the Kushiro wetlands and the national Crane reserve tomorrow morning.