Monday, October 2, 2023

Sunday, 1 October 2023
Seattle, Washington / Sailing Day

It is another beautiful weather day in Seattle as I taxi from the Hyatt to Pier 91, where the Westerdam has been docked since yesterday morning, after its final Alaska-only cruise. Some passengers from that cruise remain on board as we head back to Juneau and then across the Pacific. But most passengers are newly-arrived. My scheduled boarding time at 11am proceeds quickly and my Signature Veranda Suite is ready for me to drop off my cary-ons before heading to the Lido Marketplace for a light lunch of Caesar salad and sole piccata with rice. 

The Signature Suite is about one-third larger than regular Veranda Staterooms and has a much larger bathroom with tub and separate shower, as well as two sinks. The veranda is also significantly larger than the one attached to the Veranda Stateroom.






Since we don't sail until 5pm I have plenty of time to unpack my bags and put things away that I am sure I won't be able to find again until it's time to pack in Japan. Since I have sailed on the Westerdam twice before, I don't need to spend much time looking around, but can enjoy the lovely weather on the decks facing Seattle's waterfront.





As sailing time approaches and the light in the sky changes, I spot a wonderful view of Mt Rainier rising in the distance.



There are more wonderful views as the Westerdam backs out of the pier, turns around 45 degrees and heads north. Luckily my suite is on the shore side as the ship heads toward Alaska, and I can watch the coastline and mountains of British Columbia as I get ready for dinner.



I have a reserved solo table on the balcony of the main dining room for dinner at 7:30pm. Unfortunately, that's the same time the LGBTQ+ social is scheduled. I stop by the social for a few minutes just to say hello on my way to dinner. It just takes a minute, however, to greet a fellow traveler from my 23-day cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Rio de Janiero in 2014--oh, my lord, almost ten years ago! 

Dinner is blissfully quiet and effiicient:  meatballs in ponzu sauce, followed by pork katsu (very popular in Japan; much like Italian pork scallopine without the red sauce), accompanied by baby bok choy (one of my favorites), and rice. Dessert is a nice slice of cheesecake with chocolate cookie crust. I accompany this with a bottle of Perrier and a glass of sparkling wine from California (not bad and much cheaper than French Champagne). All the drinks are included in the package with my unlimited wifi.

So much for my first day at sea as I head to the bed that has been calling me for hours.