Thursday, November 10, 2022

Friday, 11 November 2022

Sailing Through Fiordland National Park, NZ

The Westerdam sails around the bottom of New Zealand's South Island, after a day of scenic cruising through Milford and Dusky Sounds. I'll provide information about fiords and sounds when the blog actually gets to Friday. But now it's time for Tuesday past and the boarding of the Westerdam.

But first a few more views of Sydney from Monday afternoon.

Flowering Trees at Circular Quay

Restored Customs House (1845)

The Strand Arcade (1982)

Exterior Features of Queen Victoria Building
(Above and Below)



Tuesday, 8 Nov 2022
Boarding ms Westerdam; A Very Late Sailaway

I have arranged for a Hyatt Hotel car to drive me to the White Bay Cruise Terminal, where the Westerdam awaits. It's a short but very comfortable ride, and I am glad to have someone else handling my luggage. Things should go smoothly since I completed all the required "paperwork" on Holland America's "Navigator App" on my phone.

But, of course there is alway a hitch--and my wifi connection will not work in the terminal. And the app contains my e-visa for New Zealand. Fortunately, I am helped by a dedicated terminal employee who finds out what I need to do, walks me over to the computers where my e-visa number can be verified, and then makes sure that all the other procedures go smoothly. As a 4-star Marina (next to highest rung), I go through priority check-in very quickly.

But nowadays everything is handled through the app, even on board the ship. It's difficult to find a human who can answer questions or help with problems. God forbid, you don't have a smart phone! All information about the cruise--menus, shore excursions, accounts--are handled through the app. Excuse me, but I didn't think I would be glued to my phone while traveling the world. But I guess I am an old Luddite curmudgeon.

My veranda stateroom is ready as soon as I board at noon, so I can drop off stuff and head to the Lido for a meal. After lunch I find my luggage in the stateroom, ready for unpacking. We are supposed to sail at 6:30pm, which will allow the Westerdam to pass under the Sydney Harbour Bridge and to sail by the major sights of the city and suburbs while it is sill light. The captain announces that there is a red moon lunar eclipse that will reach its peak at 9pm, when we will be out on the dark sea and have a very good view.

However, things turn out quite differently: 6:30pm passes, as does 7:30pm, and the Westerdam has not left the dock. At 8pm the captain announces that due to a labor shortage of port pilots, we will not be leaving until 3:30 the next morning. So say goodbye to all the spectacular views. The captain will get another chance at a scenic entry and departure when the Westerdam returns for one day, on 23 November, as she begins the second half of her journey around southern Australia. Still, a disappointing turn of events,
 
Two Views of Sydney from the Westerdam
(The Hyatt Regency Hotel is the White Curved Building in the Center of the Photo Below)


To make up for the lost time, the captain speeds the ship to 20 knots over the next two days at sea. Ships this size usually travel at 18 knots. You can feel and see the difference as we cut through the Tasman Sea. Fortunately, the sailing is relatively smooth in spite of the speed. And we will arrive at Milford Sound only one hour late.