Monday, November 7, 2022

Monday, 7 November 2022

Sydney, Australia

Today is my last full day in Sydney, before boarding ms Westerdam tomorrow, and I awake to the end of daylight savings time. I have really enjoyed my days here and have used them tirelessly. I didn't accomplish everything I planned, but I did check off most of the items on my list. And I have one more day in Sydney on 23 November, when the Westerdam returns from New Zealand and begins its circuit of Southern Australia.

But I get ahead of myself, so I will return to:

Saturday, 5 Nov 2022

My day begins early, with a full buffet breakfast, included in the cost of the hotel. I have a reservation for the 10am "Architectural Tour of the Sydney Opera House," this year celebrating its 50th anniversary. I taxi from the Hyatt so I have plenty of time for photos from the Opera House platform before the tour begins.

Sydney Harbour Bridge, with View of North Sydney

Sydney Opera House Atop Monumental Stairs
Carnival Cruise Ship Docked at Circular Quay, Opposite the Opera House

The tour lasts just over an hour and is conducted by a non-architect who knows a lot about the history and construction of the project, which took seven years longer and several million dollars more to build than originally planned--but you can look up that story on Google. We get close-up views of the external features, primarily the sail-like roofs and the concrete and glass that supports them. Inside the restaurant wing, we can see the fan-like concrete beams that support the roof (the only one of three venues where the roof structure is visible). We also have a brief visit inside the larger of the two main theaters, where a piano is being tuned for tonight's symphony concert.

Opera House Exterior Views



Opera House Interior Views




Not-Quite White Ceramic Roof Tiles, Colored to Prevent the Blinding Reflection of Sunlight

I then enjoy a gigantic burger and real Aussie fires (Russett potatoes from Tasmania) at a waterside cafe while I watch the parade of Saturday Sydneysiders go by.


After lunch, I enjoy the varied view around Circular Quay, the heart of Sydney since the first ships from England arrived. From here, state-run ferries depart for points all around Sydney Harbour. 



Deco Facade of Contemporary Art Museum

Indeed, the best way to see Sydney is from the water, and a state ferry is the least expensive way to do it. I take the 20-minute ferry ride to Manly Beach, on the north side of the city. This is one of the two major beaches within easy reach of the city (the other is Bondi Beach on the eastern side). On this Saturday afternoon, the town and the beach are busy with surfers, swimmers, paraders, and lookers. This is quintessential Sydney on a beautiful Spring weekend.

Ferry Boarding at Circular Quay

Second-Best View of the Opera House from Ferry Upper-Deck
(I Will Reveal the Best View in a Later Blog)

Sailboats on the Bay

Approaching the Town of Manly

Ferry Preparing to Dock

It's a short walk along a pedestrians-only street from Manly Wharf to the beach. The street is lined on both sides with typical cheap beach stores, fancy brand-name shops, restaurants, and funky hotels.



And then there's the beach itself! Popular with swimmers, surfers, families, and city workers, Manly provides all that locals could desire.




My day as a tourist isn't quite over yet. After returning to Circular Quay by ferry, I hop on the light rail system (with three routes in the city and suburbs). This is a new addition to Sydney's transportation infrastructure, much changed and further developed since I visited 30 years ago. In addition to light rail, there is a wide-spread system of bus routes, and an underground suburban railway that performs like a metro system in the CBD. And--a true underground metro system is under construction. The best part is that in order to pay, you tap your credit card getting on and off the system. Sydney, in fact, is an almost  cashless environment. Many establishments won't take cash at all--even for the very smallest purchases. Much more advanced than the US. If you don't want to use a credit card, you can purchase a system card that functions like the Oyster Card in London.

But I digress. I am using the light rail system to return to the Hyatt. I alight at the QVB Station, shorthand for Queen Victoria Building. The QVB is a landmark 19th-century market that has been magnificently restored and functions as a. multi-level shopping and eating venue. Before walking the four blocks downhill to the hotel, I spend some time admiring the building and all the wares and food on offer.






And with my mouth stuffed with my first taste of Australia's wonderful Lamington Cake, I make my way back to the Hyatt and finally to the end of today's blog.