Monday, November 28, 2022

Sunday, 27 November

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

After all my activities in Port Arthur yesterday,  I was ready for an early bedtime after dinner. Although I could see many passengers getting off the Westerdam to explore Hobart after we arrived at 7pm, I was content to stay in my stateroom in dreamland.

But today, Sunday, I am ready for a special and exciting trip to MONA (Museum of Old and New Art). It would take me too long to give my readers the full story of MONA. If you wish to learn more about this extraordinary and controversial museum, check it out by pasting the following website in your browser (it's not an automic link): https://www.mona.net.au/museum

I learned about MONA while I was at home in Tucson doing my research to prepare for this cruise. I was pretty astonished by what I found, so instead of just touring Hobart or doing a shore excursion to various places, I pre-booked MONA instead. The only way to reach MONA (unless you are driving your own car) is by dedicated catamaran ferry from Hobart; the trip upriver takes about 20 minutes (the same coming back). Timed reservations are required for the ferry trips and for entrance to the museum.

Catamaran Ferry Awaits Passengers in Hobart

Leaving Hobart Harbor Behind Us



The River Narrows Close to MONA Ferry Landing

Once reaching the MONA ferry landing, it is necessary to climb 99 steps (and the same number coming down when you leave)--there is no other way! Inside the museum, there are elevators to take you down to/up from the deepest level. There is also an outdoor sculpture garden and places for refreshments.





The museum is the eccentric (and erotic) private art collection of Tasmanian David Walsh. The museum structure extends deeply downward three levels into Tasmanian rock. In many ways the structure is more interesting than most of the artworks, but I will provide some photos (flash is not permitted and some of the spaces are very dark). None of the objects in the museum have identifying labels. You have to download the MONA app on your smartphone to find information about the artist and the work you are looking at.

The Round Glass Elevator Reaches the Bottom Level


























Satiric and Erotic Artworks














Don't Ask, Because I Don't Know

Bar Void, on the Lowest Level











Long Corridor with Limestone Walls

Round Interior Doorway and Inner Path

Artwork Panels Line an Interior Curving Wall
(above and below)



This Is Part of a Special Exhibit Called "Cloaca"












And, at Last, a Plastic Sports Car

After my time in the museum, I take a short walk through the sculpture garden.











Wooden Pyramid in Picnic Area

Children's Playground


It's time to descend the 99 steps to board the 12:15 ferry back to Hobart. I share the view from the back open deck with some animal "companions."



As we get closer to Hobart, the scenery changes rapidly from country  bucolic to industrial horror.

View from the Stern

Government House in a Park Close to the City

A Large Industrial Site, Used for Processing Zinc


After leaving the ferry and the dock, I take a short walk to see what is of interest in the city itself. Not much! It soon starts to rain, so I do a quick walk back to the Cruise Port and the Westerdam.

Just before sailing at 5pm today, the Captain announces that the coming day-and-a-half to Adelaide will be very rough--the fault of two lows moving into the area. So I use my cane when I am walking about the ship, since it would be very easy to fall whenever the Westerdam rocks from part to starboard and back again.

Although this is somewhat rougher than the crossing from Auckland to Sydney (last week), with gale-force winds and seas approaching nine feet. We are scheduled to arrive in Adelaide tomorrow afternoon at 2pm, and then spend an overnight with next-day departure at 11pm. Hopefully the weather will improve and the waves will get smaller.