Sunday, November 6, 2022

Sunday, 6 November 2022

Sydney, Australia

It may be Sunday evening as I write this, but I will take you all back in time to Friday morning as I taxi to the Hyatt Regency Sydney after landing one hour early and getting through immigration and customs very quickly with the help of a pleasant young-ish woman of Korean descent.

Friday, 24 Nov 2022
I was able to book a room at this very expensive grand hotel for half price, using my American Airlines mileage. Because I check in early, I'm assigned to a room that's a verrrry long walk from the elevator. I am able to change the room when I return to reception and whip out my cane. I am thus much closer to the elevators and all that the hotel offers.



The hotel is on the edge of the Central Business District (here and in all other cities on this journey, labeled "CBD") and Darling Harbour, a precinct dedicated to all the pleasure of tourism:  museums, restaurants, waterfront, hotels, shopping, etc. I head out to King's Wharf, just a short walk from the hotel, to choose from a variety of restaurants facing the water (almost everything in this part of Sydney faces the water).

After lunch I cross the pedestrians-only Pyrmont Bridge to visit Harbourside, a glass-enclosed shopping mall I remember from 1993. Unfortunately, like many popular retail sites from the past, this too has deteriorated and been displaced by newer and shinier malls in other parts of the city. But the sun is shining brightly and the temperatures are in the high 70s, so I really can't complain. And I have wonderful views from both sides of the bridge.

King's Wharf and Views of Darling Harbour

King's Wharf
Maritime Museum on Darling Harbour
Harbourside Mall
Pyrmont Pedestrian Bridge
(above and below)

It has been a very long two days getting here, so I am ready for a snack and an early bedtime.

The next posting will begin with my architectural tour of the Sydney Opera House on Saturday morning.